Need some help please.

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Da happy octopus
Amoeba

Post by Da happy octopus »

Thx for all the help :) The temp in the house during the day is around 75 ( sometimes the wife will kick it up to 77 but that is rare. I have 5 maxijet 1200 in the tank and a rio 2500 in the sump. The heaters are unpluged. There is a glass top on one side of the tank (the left side) but it is going to come off this weekend. I'm going to mount a fan over the sump per ya'll advice, will one of the little car dash fans work or should i get a bigger fan?
Beaver
Amoeba

Post by Beaver »

I have a fan that is speed contolled and I dont use it.. Its bran new about 5" square.. It needs a plug but I am not the guy to help you with that if you want to buy say 10-20 bucks or I would rather trade(zoes or shrooms) it doesnt have to be anything major...

hope this helps Beaver
ebeaver0u812@yahoo.com
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Another vote for fans over the tank, which will cause more evaporation, and to get rid of those glass tops ASA-f'ing-P.... that's how I keep my system in check, I let it evap several gallons a day due to constant air movement over the water surface.
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Having ANY kind of fan over the tank would make a huge difference.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Beaver wrote:I have a fan that is speed contolled and I dont use it.. Its bran new about 5" square.. It needs a plug but I am not the guy to help you with that if you want to buy say 10-20 bucks or I would rather trade(zoes or shrooms) it doesnt have to be anything major...

hope this helps Beaver
ebeaver0u812@yahoo.com
Hey Beaver if no one wants that fan I might have a use for it. I may have some shooms or zoes to trade for it.
Beaver
Amoeba

Post by Beaver »

Well if he doesn't want it you got first dibs just trying to clean the place up before the move. Did I mention that it is super quiet, but when wide open its noticable but not bad.... Not any more than my coral life fan................
Beaver
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I would sat the fan over the sump will cause nothing but evaporation....all you should need is a small fan in the hood to blow the heat out....just enough to keep some air moving ... you should not need anymore than a 3 or 4in computer fan......if that does not do it..... then look for another problem....
Da happy octopus
Amoeba

Post by Da happy octopus »

Ok thx, i' have plenty of computer fans ( the 3 in ones ) so i'm going to put 2 over the lights and get a little bit bigger fan to go over the sump :) thx for the help guys, i'll let ya know how it works out hehe. Thx for the offer of that fan but i'll pass i have a few laying around here.
Beaver
Amoeba

Post by Beaver »

Andy you got a PM
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

tbmoore wrote:I would sat the fan over the sump will cause nothing but evaporation....all you should need is a small fan in the hood to blow the heat out....just enough to keep some air moving ... you should not need anymore than a 3 or 4in computer fan......if that does not do it..... then look for another problem....
Sorry Terry, it's extremely rare... actually the first time... but I'm going to disagreeing with you.

The heat of evaporation is ~900 BTU/lb of water. If you evaporate the water anywhere in the system, then you will cool the system proportionally to amount of water evaporated.

My tank is cooled by evaporation ONLY. I have 630 watts of light on 12 hours which is about 26,000 BTU/day. My tank evaporates about 1.5 gal per day or ~12 lbs of water per day. That is 12 x 900 BTU/lb = ~10,000 BTU/day. By my estimates (ignoring the minor heat from the pumps) about 10,000/26,000 = 35% of the heat from the lights enter the tank. You can calculate the required evaporation (from the sump or the tank) based on this extremely rough estimate: For each 100 watts of light you have (1.5 gal / 630 watts) you need to evaporate about 1/4 gallon of water to keep your tank cool.

I'd like to know how much water other people evaporate from their tanks and how much light they have (only if you don't have a chiller).... just to test my VERY nerdy theory. BTW... keep in mind I did ignor the heat loss through the walls of the tank. :oops:
Wind me up!
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I evaporate enough water to fuly degrade my RO/DI unit... that's roughly 900 gallons (very rough estimate) in a year... that breaks down to 2-3 gallons a day. Room temp is roughly 75-76 median, tank temp stays 80-81.
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

2 gal/day
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

ShagMan wrote:I evaporate enough water to fuly degrade my RO/DI unit... that's roughly 900 gallons (very rough estimate) in a year... that breaks down to 2-3 gallons a day. Room temp is roughly 75-76 median, tank temp stays 80-81.
How many watts of lighting? About 1200 watts?
Wind me up!
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Brandon wrote:2 gal/day
OK guys... how many watts?
Wind me up!
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

KrazyPlace wrote:
Brandon wrote:2 gal/day
OK guys... how many watts?
Sorry.. 750halides + 640vho = 1390