Grumble Grumble.. Stupid Anemone

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brandon
Chromis

Grumble Grumble.. Stupid Anemone

Post by Brandon »

This weekend I bought a beautiful Fire/Blood/Flame Shrimp. Paid $40 for this gorgeous specimen. Saw this fellow for two days, He picked a great hiding spot in the front where we could watch him. Then he was no where to be seen. I thought maybe he was hiding to molt.
The anemone just deflated yesterday to expel the waste like it had just eaten recently.. some of the waste pieces had a definete reddish tinge to them.
I guess that is what I get for putting a carpet anemone (fish killer) in there. But did it have to be my new $$$ shrimp! :( Grr.. Anyone need a nice Haddoni Anemone? :)

Maybe this could be the solution to Salt-N-Lime's Shrimp predicament :shock:
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Well to make you feel better... everything that my Anenome expells looks red tinged... he may still be in there (fingers crossed) unless it was actually pieces of shell that she spit out?
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I agree with Amy. An anenome cannot digest the carapace of a shrimp. I had a pepperment shrimp die and I fed it to the anenome and it expelled the shell a short while later. It was very obvious that it was a shrim shell.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

my old anemone ate my pepperment shrimp...
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Would the shell come out in little tiny pieces. About the size of a bb.
The pieces he expelled were very small, and they have all been soft. I've been using a large syringe to suck up the stuff he expells.. it all seems gooey.

This thing is voracious. I caught him trying to move yesterday because he was hungry again. I had earlier in the week fed him a large piece of shrimp, but guess this wasn't enough. I fed him a scallop and he is back where he is supposed to be this morning. I just didn't know these things would actually go hunting for food.. sheesh.
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

Yay!!! We found the shrimp....Mr/Miss Anemone moved to a different location, actually tipped upside down for a bit and then attached to the bottom of a rock on the floor of the tank. We were feeding/watching everyone and all of a sudden, here comes something from deep under a rock, it's the Shrimp!!!! Pierre is fine! :D Yay!!!!

Everyone is fine......:D
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank