Finding Nemo

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Finding Nemo

Post by snoopdog »

A must see for reef keepers, they did an excellent job holding true to reef facts and knowledge all the way up to cleaner shrimps. Very funny movie, gotta go see it.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

saw it friday night, its was soo hilarious...a definate buyer
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

YES, Pixar strikes again! Great movie! I did notice, B&B is WAY stocked with blue tangs and clownfish :( :( :( Knew that was gonna happen...
-Josh Murrah
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Nemo (Long Post)

Post by Melissakins »

I did notice, B&B is WAY stocked with blue tangs and clownfish Knew that was gonna happen...
Brandon and I were at B&B a couple weeks ago and one of the guys there said some lady came in to buy "Nemo" for her kids B-day party. She wanted to buy several clown fish and put them in the little bowls like you'd see Betta's in and pass them out as party favors!!! (I'm sorry, I'm in rant mode now)

Anyway, the guy there said, Uhm, you do realize they'll die if they're just put in a little bowl and that they're salt water fish and how much they cost, right? Well, she didn't buy them. Brandon went last night just to look with a friend who picked up a tank and saw all the tangs and clownfish for sale and a sign saying "We found Nemo!" They had a little clown in a two gallon tank too.

While Pixar puts out some great movies, I think Pet Stores (I know they gotta make a living!) and movies like Finding Nemo should advise people who are interested in fish/horses/dogs/cats, etc after seeing a great movie/cartoon that the animals "starring" are alive and have certain needs. I just think the business profitting off of people's ignorance is a shame (to quote from Brandon).

As a club, maybe we could help out? The bird club we were in did a lot of educational stuff. At shows, we pass out information regarding care, first aid, etc. How hard would it be to maybe do something along those lines? Educate the masses if you will....Or even post some stuff here for people doing research on a Hippo Tang or a clown fish....just some thoughts...

I found a lot of stuff just by typing in hippo tang this morning...maybe some of you who have hippos/clowns could post your experiences whether they be good or bad...
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Well i have put much thought into this in the past. Until the pet stores quit trying to make a buck and get responsible with there selling practices it will continue. BUT, things are better than they used to be as far as reef keeping. We can keep things that years ago was impossible or too expensive. Just having this forum here is all we can do and hope people seek us out.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I went to B&B tonight to browse their subpar selection. There must have been 50 people there and half of them went past the little eclipse and said "Oh look, there is Nemo!" Luckily for the fish they have raised their price on all the fish, so they are limiting their own market. I also noticed that they had a bulletin board with the reef tanks of the employees. Some looked pretty nice.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

Yeah, I know that pretty much all we can do now is keep up with educating ourselves and share what we find on this forum. Forums like this have helped me on many the occasion! :D

People just piss me off sometimes, that's all. :) The movie is cute, what I've seen of it. And I'm kinda glad they jacked the prices up on the fish.
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank