Chistmas goodies?

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Chistmas goodies?

Post by Scott »

I haven't been around a lot recently and when I have gotten a chance I haven't been able to read everything so I was wondering what everyone got this year. I'm sure at least a few of you were not naughty.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Hmmm......I got the World Atlas of Coral Reefs, the Living Seas DVD, and I'm going to get a something or two from Cappucino Bay when we go to Atlanta. I bought myself a refractometer for my birthday last Tuesday. :)
Oh and I got a very cool sword for my collection. :P

How about you?
jagal
Amoeba

Swords

Post by jagal »

What kind of swords do you have in your collection?

jagal
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

A friend who deals with swords traded an ancient Japanese samurai sword for a mint-condition 1965 convertible Corvette Stingray. Who would've known it was worth that much. BTW, the car is very nice, too--all chrome engine, fenders, etc., original paint.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

This one is from United Cutlery, one of the Lord Of The Rings functional reproductions. It s the sword of Arwen called Hadhafang. I wasn't so into these until I got one for a friend, the reforged sword of the kingdom of Gondor. I think we'll end up with the Gandalf the white sword, and I really want the staff as well.
Most of the swords I have are useable, for practice cutting. I have the Paul Chen Katana sword and Ninja sword from the practical series. Someday I want a Paul Chen Oriole Katana, but it's a fairly expensive hand forged sword. I'm just about to order a Cold Steel chisa Katana from the warrior series, another useable cutting sword that's got a shorter blade (24"),
And then there are the usual ornamental sets (Katana, Wakazashi and tanto). One blue, and one black dragon set.
I think I have a wish list that's about a mile long..... :lol:
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

The older oriental swords are worth a tremendous amount of money. Those swords were definately built to last. Sure would have liked to see that one! :shock:

You can get some well made, hand forged swords for one to two thousand dollars usually, though I've been watching the Paul Chen Golden Oriole for a couple of years and the prices are actually down from 900 to around 600 if you do some searching. At least it's getting closer to the "possible" range... :lol:
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

The one he sold was a Kamakura age katana, from what I remember. He also has some Tokugawa-era kodachis that he recently acquired by selling some land. Cool stuff if you ask me.

And as for goodies for me, I got plenty of much-needed financial support :D, another seio 1500, and the means to buy some more books (on reefs, of course).
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I'm still waiting on the "corals of the world" set. I'm going to break down and get it one of these days. :lol:
I get a dvd every year, but I started with the "Blue Planet" series, and there's no way to top that. I look at the imax dvd's as something nice to watch, they just don't come close to the Blue Planet.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I always ask for the Corals of the World books. It seems that they are not high on the gift list of others although they have always been high on my list. This year I got some tools that I didn't want but needed. I got myself frags of these corals and my wife got me the last pic.
Attachments
Suzuki DL650
Suzuki DL650
december 2005 001 (2).jpg (166.95 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Apparently I was better than I thought.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

LOL!!! I think that one beats Corals of the world..... :roll: I bet you freaked out! It's sweet.........very sweet.

And so are the corals, :lol: how are they doing?
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Yeak, I was pretty shocked. Several years ago we were going to buy a HD Sportster 1200. A week later we found out that my wife was pregnant. I haven't heard anything about it since. The bad thing is that I haven't had much time to ride. Every one of us has had the same crud as everyone else. Maybe I'll get the COW books next year.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

You got a bike ??? What have you been doing right ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

That is a secret that I am not at liberty to divulge at this time. There may be a seminar or how to book in the near future though :wink: .
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

snoopdog wrote:You got a bike ??? What have you been doing right ?
Bow Chicka Bow Wow!
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."