"Blueberry" Gorgonian

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

yardboy
Amoeba

"Blueberry" Gorgonian

Post by yardboy »

Does anyone have any information on this species. I first saw them for a rather exorbitant price on Reefscience.com, then found a good size frag for $10 at WaterWorld in Pensacola.

Beware the advice of those with dollar signs in their eyes.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Very cool.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

well worth a try for $10. I had one once before and it didn't last too long. I saw someone on RC selling them one time for about $35. I also got mine for $10 at waterworld, which was probably sometime last year.
yardboy
Amoeba

Post by yardboy »

Was it late last year? I was in there around Thanksgiving and they had quite a few frags of it, but I wasn't going home, so couldn't pick one up then. I figured the one I got (the only one they had, which had fallen behind a hammer coral) was from the same batch. I thought if it survived that long in the store, maybe I could keep it going. I'm about to place it close to a Tubastrea and I'll feed them together. Not sure what they eat, though. Phyto?
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

good luck
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

I bought one a few weeks back, and richard mentioned it and a few others had fallen off a larger one that was sold to another customer.

then the next week he had another 20 frags of it..... i assume he bought another one and just broke it into pieces... figure one piece for 40 bucks or 30 pieces for 10dollars each...
yardboy
Amoeba

Post by yardboy »

Great. Well, what is everyone doing to keep them alive? They don't really strike me as photosynthetic. Are they zoo or phyto eaters? Any info would be appreciated.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

well, i agree with you about being nonphoto... the one i have, keeps its polyps extended at night.

as far as what to feed it... you guess is as good as mine... i have seen a few live extremely well off cyclop-eeze
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

mine lasted a few months until it withered away to nothing. I have tried numerous gorgo frags from ww and have yet to have one last longer than a few months.
yardboy
Amoeba

Post by yardboy »

Thanks Guys.
I guess I should have studied this species a lot more before I bought it, but ever since I first saw them on-line I really "wanted one" so when was at WW and they had one, I bought it.
Well, here's my chance to become "famous",eh? Unfortunately, I've killed more than one coral...........
Darn, it's sure pretty though.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yes, they are beautiful corals. It's just that they have miserable captivity records.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium