Laptop help

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brian
Amoeba

Laptop help

Post by Brian »

Ok, this is the first time I have run into a problem that I can not fix myself. I have a Toshiba laptop that has been working great. Well now you can plug it up and see the AC light steady green and the battery light steady green but when you push the power button it does nothing. The power button lights up and then goes off and all the indicator lights shut off also. You try to push the button again but this time it will not even give you a light. You can unplug it andget the lights again but it just repeats itself again when trying to power it on. When trying to power on without it plugged in you get the power light and then it shuts off. You can repaet this over and over and over. Does anyone have a clue as to what might be going on? Thanks for any help you can provide. Thsi one has really stumped me.
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

maby a bad cmos battery --- or the ram memory has been dislodged open all the back covers on the bottom of the laptom and make sure all items are secured same with the battery

if that does not work pull the hard drive out package it up and send it to me cause i have a toshiba laptop with a broken screen that need to be replaced!!!! ---- just kidding --- or take it to a reputable computer repair place

i think a few other folks here know a few things about laptops
gitting things back in order and starting over!!!
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

I have been working on computers for almost 10 years now and never really worked on laptops so this one has stumped me. I thought memory so I checked it and made sure it was seated properly. I have checked every connection inside the machine. I have not checked the cmos battery though. I will check that. I am just hoping it is not the motherboard. My other thought was thatthe battery is dead and will not take a charge. I know some laptops will run without the battery as long as they are plugged in and some will not but I am not sure about the Toshiba.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Depends on the age of the Toshiba. Older Tosiba's had two c-mos batteries that looked like Ni-Cad packs found in phones. Today's Toshiba laptops either have the coin c-mos batteries or none that are visible. Older Toshiba laptops would definitely act strange when the c-mos battery died.

On to the solution though. Try to re-seat the ram and see if you get anything. A lot of laptop boards have on-board ram so you may try to remove the so-dimm and run on the on-board ram if it has it. Some cmos on laptops can be cleared by unplugging the power pack, holding down the power button for 30 seconds and then plugging in the power pack, again holding that power button still for another 30 seconds.

Are you sure the laptop is not booting up ? If the backlight fails you will not get a picture on the display you can actually see, so for trouble shooting purposes you may want to hook up an external monitor !!
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

On some Toshiba models (almost all), the computer will not boot if the battery has been killed and come close to reverse voltage. Take the battery completely out and try to reboot.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

I have tried booting with no battery but still does the same thing. I have tried booting with no ram but still same thing. I have moved ram to other slot but still same thing. I can not see any cmos battery on this. It is a Toshiba Satellite M35X. It is not really old. I think it is a 1.6 Centrino. I will try the 30 second on and off thing snoop and see if that works. Is it possible the battery has just died? This is my first time actually working on a laptop so I learning. When I press the power button and hold it it does nothing but as soon as I release it the power button light blinks, the ac power light blonks and the battery light blinks but not the hard drive light. I do not hear any fan or hard drive. I am positive it is not booting snoop.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

90% chance it is the motherboard anyway. 90% chance it will not be cost effective to repair. Have you actually checked the cmos battery or are you saying the system battery ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

I was talking about the system battery. I can not locate a cmos battery on the motherboard.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

It is probably integrated into an IC on the board, more than likely in the RTC chip so that is a no swap. Inevitably the board is more than likely bad, you can always get an idea of a swap price by looking on Ebay. You can use the online Toshiba Atlas to get a part number if you cannot locate one on the board itself.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

I appreciate the help.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

My vote's on a dead system board.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

I agree with Snoop, it's the board or possibly the system battery charging module. If it's a ram problem it will light up, but will not post. The lights would remain on. Most units will still post/boot with a dead cmos battery, but would have to find all the devices each time, of at the very least, force you into settings to set them yourself.

Toshiba, however, is weird, sometimes impossible to diagnose. You can call me and I'll give you the number of a good TOS tech in the Mobile area. Crane Computers 661.2021

At the very least, bring it by the shop and let me look at it before you spend a shitload of money, or throw it away.
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."