240 Gallon

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

240 Gallon

Post by snoopdog »

Ok here is the scoop on the tank, i went and looked at it today. It's 2' x 2' x 8' and with two center braces. The tank was upside down and dirty so could not tell scratches very well. The back for sure had scratches, Rich said that is why the guy wanted to get rid of it was he needed the tank to be viewable from both sides. The glass that would be the front had either an imperfection or a chip in at at the very bottom maybe 3/8 of an inch circular and maybe 1/16 of an inch deep. Just so when you ran your finger over it you could feel it. This was at the bottom close to the seam. The tank had been resealed and it still felt fresh, not a great job though, kinda messy if you ask me. It had side overflow boxes but in the middle on both sides against the side glass. The chip in the glass bothered me some, as did not being able to see for scratches.

So here it is PROS

Cheap $400.00 and it is here now.

CONS

Overflows instead of bulkheads
Already scratched
Crappy seam job
Not drilled for closed loop without extra cost.

But for the price of $400 instead of 1000+ what would you do.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

$600 is a lot of difference, but how much will your livestock & equipment be worth? If we're talking $1000's of dollars and many many hours of work put into this display, you're time is worth something.. why settle for somthing that you might never be satisfied with? Putting this into a wall is gonna take boocoo hours/dollars.. If you would be happy with this tank.. go for it , if it would bug you for years on down the road.. the 600 might be better spent for something you could be satisfied with.
Just my thoughts.. :)
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Pass on it (at least I would). The way I see it:
1.The chip is at the bottom where water pressure would be the greatest. If someone bumped the tank or leaned against it what would the chances of that chip becoming a crack?
2. It is not exactly what you wanted.
3. If the seams that were poorly sealed leaked, you would have 240 gallons of water on your floor.
4. There were too many cons.

The only way I would buy it is if you could have the front glass replaced and the whole thing resealed for a VERY resonable price. Still it has overflows.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

If this is going to be the "one".......... yunno....the tank of your dreams and the focal point of your new home....I'd say get the one you want first time around. At then end of the day, you have got to look at the thousands of dollars you'll have wrapped up in a large tank......... the few hundred bucks you save in the beginning are not going to be what you will be thinking about a year from now when it's set up and you keep looking at the chip or scratches.

Also the center braces suck. More and more manufacturers are finding ways to eliminate them. They diffuse light, grow algae and are somtimes submersed at the waterline affecting top water motion.

JMO.
Last edited by SaltnLime on Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I agree, i think i will pass on it. This will be "the tank" for some time to come, and i want it to be right. I think all of the things would bug the piss out of me. Reeferpuffer if you read this, lets pass on going to Rich's tomorrow. No sense in you running all the way down here. I was also thinking that Reefer said something that makes sense, i want a 6 foot tank, not 8 foot. 24 inch depth does seem really skinny.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

8 foot of tank is alot of tank, means more lighting..lighting is a b****. i say like a 6 foot long....30" width, and like maybe 30" tall...
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Here is a link to a 180 gallon. It is with other stuff but you might be able to talk him into separating. It is in Destin and if you buy it you have to take me to go and get it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... did=207303
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

WOW! PLease buy it so I'm not tempted!
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I sent him a message.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

His name is Ken, I have talked to him a few times. He is a great guy. I hope that you can buy it, I have been trying to go see his system for 6 months.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Just buy the whole setup, then you can setup a backyard greenhouse to propogate in :)

a 10' skimmer? Wow!
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

This is what he replied
Hey reef crazed,
I will sell the 180 and 30 gal sump for $400 it has some small stracthes. give me a call at 850-376- 5496.

Ken
What do you think. It the "scratch" thing always isnt it ?
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

go make a raod trip man, i think its a good deal and you'll be pleased..p.s..i saw the 240 gallon, im very glad you didnt get it, it sux
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I think i will pass. The next few weekends i will not be able to leave town. He will have it sold by then i think.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

snoopdog wrote:I think i will pass. The next few weekends i will not be able to leave town. He will have it sold by then i think.
If you don't mind then... I think I'll go have a look :D