Three "names" I'm sick and tired of..

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

Three "names" I'm sick and tired of..

Post by sb1227 »

Cotton Candy (Generally Pink with Yellow tips) , Superman ( duh-pink or red and blue)and Alien eye (what the hell ever).

I understand it, but how many corals can be called the same ridiculous name? Maybe in this age of "use as few letters as possible" we don't want to actually have to describe a color.

Having a little bitter moment, I guess. It just seems a little silly to me.
Last edited by sb1227 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

you're not the only one that feels this way. I think its rediculous.
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Uh.....Oh, what set you off?
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

LOL!!! First, I was grumpy.....second, I saw the "Superman Milli" at Atlantis. I went right into "Gimme a Break" mode. :lol:
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

It aggravates the living hell out of me. Why can't people just sell Acropora millepora (not a "milli"), Montipora danae (not a superman monti), Zoanthus sp (sure as hell not purple people eater zoos--it is "Zoa"nthid, not zooanthid).
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

I think I have gotten past all the name calling nonsense. As long as the coral is priced right.

Sue, I got Dave to order another sps box. I will let you know on deliver date. Just remember I get first draft choice. :wink:
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Sounds good to me!
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

Amphiprion wrote:It aggravates the living hell out of me. Why can't people just sell Acropora millepora (not a "milli"), Montipora danae (not a superman monti), Zoanthus sp (sure as hell not purple people eater zoos--it is "Zoa"nthid, not zooanthid).

So what are your feelings on people who call any Cola Drink a coke regardless if it is a Pepsi or a Coke, or should I say Coca-Cola. :lol:
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

That's funny. Definately one of those things that also drives people nuts. :lol:

If I asked for a coke and got a pepsi, I'd be pissed. :P
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I just cannot stand bad english, if you cannot speak the language then go back to where you came from.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Fishfood wrote:So what are your feelings on people who call any Cola Drink a coke regardless if it is a Pepsi or a Coke, or should I say Coca-Cola. :lol:
No, not really, but I only refer to Coca-Cola as a "coke." Besides, that doesn't count, since it was an official term coined by the company :wink: :lol: But seriously, it isn't that big of a deal, just simply a pet peeve of mine (Besides a background in taxonomy, I don't really know why).
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

sb1227 wrote:That's funny. Definately one of those things that also drives people nuts. :lol:

If I asked for a coke and got a pepsi, I'd be pissed. :P
We did a little experiment with that in one of my college classes and i think 8 out of 10 people couldn't tell the difference when just given a glass with coke or pepsi in it. Most of these people claimed they did not like one or the other before we tested this. We gave them each 6 plastic cups with one or the other in. I think they had to get all 6 right to actually say the individual could tell the difference.

Snoop - If you said that around some English folks they will tell you Europe doesn't want us back.
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

I moved back to Pensacola from Seattle because they call everything "pop." Pepsi is more popular out there as well.

Snoop....Huh?

Drew, I'll bet you your favorite coral that I can tell you the difference between Coke, pepsi, and RC nine times out of ten. It is true, however, that when pepsi was running their Taste Challenge most people couldn't get it right.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

[quote="FishfoodWe did a little experiment with that in one of my college classes and i think 8 out of 10 people couldn't tell the difference when just given a glass with coke or pepsi in it. Most of these people claimed they did not like one or the other before we tested this. We gave them each 6 plastic cups with one or the other in. I think they had to get all 6 right to actually say the individual could tell the difference. [/quote]

I dunno about most, but I can deffinitly taste (have) and sometimes smell the difference between some pop/aka soda.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So anyway... do any of you have a frag of Purple People Eater Zoos! :lol: