Metal Halides?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

SixLDfalcon
Amoeba

Metal Halides?

Post by SixLDfalcon »

My uncle has me selling some old metal halide fixtures he used on his golf course. There are about 10 fixtures and they each have a ballist and reflector. They'd look fine so all i'd have to do is wire it up to regular cord and they'd be set. I was wondering, since I'm using T5 now, if I could put a new bulb in there and use it on occasion for my new tank. Any ideas? Thanks
DannieH42
Amoeba

Post by DannieH42 »

Just make sure that when you wire it up that is set up for the right voltage. Many of them come with multi tap transformers that can be set for several different voltages. If you wire it into a 120v cord but it is set for something else (240v, 277v, 480v) you could have a problem.
"The right to offend is far greater than anyones right not to be offended"
AddictiveAquatics
Amoeba

Post by AddictiveAquatics »

The only problem I have seen with the "Bay-Style" halide rigs is the bulb orientation is often vertical instead of horizontal.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Are they M-57, 58 or 59s? If they are metal halides you could use them. From everything that I have read, which isn't much, the bulb is the deciding factor whether the bulb is horizontal or vertical. Get a good new reflector too.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.