Odyssea 45

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

HAMsmith
Amoeba

Odyssea 45

Post by HAMsmith »

Hello all, wonderful resource here!

Would the Odyssea 45 and stand sold at B&B be a good starting FOWLR aquarium? Would it need a protein skimmer?

Thanks for the help!
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Hi there and welcome to the board. I actually work at B&B and I do not recommend it as a starter aquarium. Sure it looks well contained and neat, but it has several serious pitfalls. The first is the filter it contains--you don't really need it. It is redundancy at best (at least if you lightly stock, which will make things easier to begin with). Because of the hood, you cannot fit a protein skimmer on it without removing the filter, so it will not have that neat, built in look any more. In any case, I highly recommend a (good) protein skimmer for any saltwater tank, FO or reef. The glass used causes a fair amount of distortion, IMO and the whole lighting assembly is difficult to work with. It often causes it to overheat in summer months. My personal recommendation is to piece together your own system (all of us are more than happy to help there) and customize what you want (or at least something that will give you more options). A pine stand and canopy would look quite nice and would give the 'built in' look the Odysseas provide.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
HAMsmith
Amoeba

Post by HAMsmith »

Thanks for the reply!

I'll need to figure out which tank I can use as my space is limited to 36"wide x 29" deep.

I'm starting to get a better feel for things and will start researching in more detail:

Tank (29g or 55g if I put tank in a different spot)
Stand (something contemporary, black wood/laminate)
Hood
Lights (that can be used for FOWLR or upgraded for reef)
Powerhead x2
Protein Skimmer
Sand - Aragonite Sand ~1lb per gallon?
Live Rock - 1-2 lbs per gallon? (Local or internet purchase?)
Hydrometer
Heater x2 (3-5 watts per gallon)
Thermometer
Test kits

Also these I consider optional but want to learn more about:

Sump
Refugium
Wavemaker
Chiller

Any comments on the above would be welcomed!

Thanks again!
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

If you want to stop by B&B sometime I can show you some good options as far as the space you are trying to fit it in. Sounds like you are going in the right direction, I would sugest using a sump that way you are open to more options as far as protien skimmers go. You also won't have to deal with a bunch of stuff hanging off the back of the tank and that will give you that cleaner look. Stop by sometime and come and talk to me
-Rin
HAMsmith
Amoeba

Post by HAMsmith »

I've been to B&B twice and the staff was very helpful. Was cool that everyone I talked to had SW tanks at home, multiple tanks hehe.

This hobby is like an onion, each time you figure out a layer you realize there is another layer underneath! Which is very cool but as a newbie the learning curve is steep!

I realize I need to read, read, read, before buying anything. So far I've only purchased 3 magazines and one book. I'm going to stop by Progressive Marine this afternoon and probably visit Fat Fish sometime this week as well.

I have to go out of town for work next week so the earliest I would buy anything would be a couple weeks down the road, so I'm in no hurry.

Also I've come around on the sump idea. Now to just get over the fear of the entire tank draining into it!
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

There is no way for the entire tank to drain into the sump since you pull off the 'top' of the water.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
HAMsmith
Amoeba

Post by HAMsmith »

Each day, person I talk to, resource I read, seemingly brings a different strategy.

My current thought is to buy a 24g Aquapod.

I look at it like this, the aquapod will let me learn about keeping a SW tank, it will teach me about success, it will teach me about failure, it will teach me some DIY/modding skills, and the front-end costs will be low(ish).

It won't be easy but I think it will be interesting and rewarding.

When I'm ready to graduate from the Aquapod to a larger setup I can always use the Aquapod for a QT tank, a specialty tank, or simply keep it going in addition to the larger tank.

Look for my post tomorrow where I discuss and defend an Oceanic 30g with a sump :shock:
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Many people do not realize the cost incurred in buying a larger tank, and the troubles involved. When setting up a SW or a FW tank they always told me "go large", they are easier to keep up. Well I debate that fact to this day.

Have a leak ? Imagine mopping up 110 gallons of water, plus the sump !

Bulb replacements, 4 VHO and 2 halides a year or so. Compare that to a small tank.

Top off ? My 75 evaporated several gallons a day. My two smaller tanks might take 3 gallons a week.

Try filling a large tank with rock and corals, fish, etc. You will go broke !!

For a newb I would say stay under 29 gallons, tank cost go up incrementally and so does the time involved.

Hurricane season is no picnic with a large tank I bet
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

I have to disagree with the above post (not to tick off the administrator). The most agrivating feeling I have had is when my tank was full of corals and I could not add any additional stock. I was just looking today and was wishing I had gone bigger with my tank. I havn't talked to many reefers who wish they had went smaller. Basically the setup will cost a bit more (more rock etc.). As Snoop mentioened, the bulbs will be a little higher (keep in mind, you will still be changing the bulbs on a 29 too). To me, this price is minimal compared to the extra footage. You will also need more water movement with a bigger tank (more powerheads etc.). My smaller tank was evaporating 5 gals a day of water but water is cheap. A good RODI filter will last you a while at that rate.
With exception of the initial setup, the difference of monthly cost will maybe be 7 bucks (and thats a bit extreme). The main thing is, the equipment you buy for a smaller tank most likely will not work with the larger tank when you decide to upgrade. If you downgrade to a smaller tank, the equipment will still work. You can learn with a 55 just as easy as a 29 or even a 10.
This is all opinion here and only you know what you want. Get what you are leaning toward (29 or 55). This hobby is a blast and you will enjoy either.
If it were my, I would go with the bigger.

This post was not meant to disturb anyone and I wish the best of luck to you,
Jeremy
HAMsmith
Amoeba

Post by HAMsmith »

Your post doesn't bother me, in fact I appreciate your candor.

I'm still undecided but feel much more confident after visiting all the LFSs and talking to a bunch of different people. The combo of researching and then talking/looking has been invaluable.

The only thing I really need now is patience!
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

My opinion, which probably doesn't mean much, but I believe my 125 is less work than the 55 I had. It may evaporate more water per day but if I am not here or something and miss topping it off the salinity doesnt swing to drastic and there is still plenty of water in it. Just my opinion.

Jeff
HAMsmith
Amoeba

Post by HAMsmith »

Final decision was made. The Aquapod 24 has been ordered. The premade stand choices are horrible so I ordered a custom-ish stand from Ocean View.

Target date for water/rock/sand in the tank is June 21.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

LoneStar wrote:I have to disagree with the above post (not to tick off the administrator). The most agrivating feeling I have had is when my tank was full of corals and I could not add any additional stock. I was just looking today and was wishing I had gone bigger with my tank. I havn't talked to many reefers who wish they had went smaller. Basically the setup will cost a bit more (more rock etc.). As Snoop mentioened, the bulbs will be a little higher (keep in mind, you will still be changing the bulbs on a 29 too). To me, this price is minimal compared to the extra footage. You will also need more water movement with a bigger tank (more powerheads etc.). My smaller tank was evaporating 5 gals a day of water but water is cheap. A good RODI filter will last you a while at that rate.
With exception of the initial setup, the difference of monthly cost will maybe be 7 bucks (and thats a bit extreme). The main thing is, the equipment you buy for a smaller tank most likely will not work with the larger tank when you decide to upgrade. If you downgrade to a smaller tank, the equipment will still work. You can learn with a 55 just as easy as a 29 or even a 10.
This is all opinion here and only you know what you want. Get what you are leaning toward (29 or 55). This hobby is a blast and you will enjoy either.
If it were my, I would go with the bigger.

This post was not meant to disturb anyone and I wish the best of luck to you,
Jeremy
Nah, I do not piss off that easy. Do not get me wrong, I do understand why people go with the larger tanks but with my lifestyle I think this is my best bet. Plus when I go on trips I do not have to worry nearly as much otherwise. I know from week to week that normally the only thing the tanks need are water and fish food. When I had the larger tank and all of the bells and whistles I would not dare go on a vacation.

I actually feel the opposite as you do, when I look at my tank now I am glad it is full and there is no room to put anything so I cannot buy anything !!!
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

LoneStar wrote: I was just looking today and was wishing I had gone bigger with my tank.
Jeremy
Are you serious? :shock: I would've thought 890 gallons was plenty big :)
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Who has a 890 gallon tank ?
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.