Zooanthids

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

SadaAesix
Amoeba

Zooanthids

Post by SadaAesix »

I added some zoos for my first coral and all has been well. Came home today and my AC froze up, leaving my house a nice balmy 80 degrees. The tank registered more so I turned the lights off and prayed alot.
With the AC fixed and within 3 hours the tanks temp normalized to 74. Now I noted that there is a swollen section just below the polyp head on at least two polyps in the small zoo frag. They still open at this time but I am unsure to what extent the high heat's toll has taken. All the live stock with the exception to this frag looks and is acting fine. Care to share what I can do if anything and what may have occurred.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

I wouldn't worry about it but if you really want to do something you can always do a water change.
Buzz
Amoeba

Post by Buzz »

Sada,

Is the normal tank temp 74? I keep my chiller set on 78-79. Thats the thing about this hobby. What works for me might not be the best setup for you. Being new to this hobby also...I guess my tank temp is not too high. I was running about 83-84 before I added the chiller.

Later,
Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

the average temp should be right around 78º-80º
Dys
Amoeba

Post by Dys »

A steady temp is hte best, see what your high daily temp is and try to dial in on a temp between high and preferred temp. 78 is a solid temp for most any fish and or coral. DOnt let high temps scare you too much 82F is actually not considered an unsafe temp for most fish & corals, it is not recommended but not a nightmare.
I'll respect you in the morning, but I won't wake up till noon.
GeoGriffin
Amoeba

Post by GeoGriffin »

My 46 gal bf at the office has a temp range from 80-83. I keep the heaters set at 80 to maintain it during the night and when the MH kick the temp rises to 83 durring the day. I've never had a problem with this. The fish and inverts could care less. All my corals don't mind as I get great growth and color. I keep various mushrooms, frogspawn, zoos & palys, pulsing xenia, and monti caps. If I were ever to make the jump to alot of sps then I might have issuses but so far have had none.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

My tank at work get 83 or higher, the only thing I notice different is the corals are usually opened complete up and a lot of bubbles from the sand, rock, etc.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I keep mine in the 80-82 range on purpose, since those are more natural reef temperatures.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium