Refuge light cycle.

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

What is the light cycle of your refuge?

24 Hours
17%
Opposite the main lights
83%
Concurrent with main lights
No votes

Total votes: 6

megelBeagle
Amoeba

Refuge light cycle.

Post by megelBeagle »

I was wondering whether it was better to run the light on my refuge 24 hours or just run it opposite of the display tank lights. I heard it was better to run them opposite to help stabilize pH throughout the day. But I'm afraid its slowing down the growth of my cheato and reducing the nutrient absorption.

Any thoughts?
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

Mine runs all the time.....pods galore, decent amt of algae too.
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
GeoGriffin
Amoeba

Post by GeoGriffin »

24/7 for both my tanks. I dont monitor Ph regularly so I dont know if it causes swings.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I do not currently run a refugium, but I am not a big fan of 24/7 light cycles. This is one of many reasons (i believe) people have had trouble with Caulerpa species and have since looked toward Chaetomorpha. If it were left up to me, I would use a simple reverse cycle. Sure day reactions will not be able to take place, but it is more natural for both the algae and the animals that live in a refugium. Besides, running 24/7 without adequate CO2 input (or something similar) will result in eventual wild pH swings from day to night (especially while the main tank is in the day cycle).
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium