Strongest preditor...Coral Bandit or Arrow Crab

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Buzz
Amoeba

Strongest preditor...Coral Bandit or Arrow Crab

Post by Buzz »

I've been losing a few small fish lately. They are nowhere to be found in the tank. I have a coral bandit shrimp and an arrow crab. Which one would more likely be chomping on my fish? So far I've lost.....

2 Anthius
1 Yellow watchman
1 Elegant Wrass
1 Red Scooter Blenny
1 Starry Blenny

I added the shrimp and crab about the same time. I've seen both reach for fish as they swim by.

Thanks,
Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

Just speaking for my own experience, I have never lost anything to a coral banded shrimp. I had one in my 55 and when I set-up my 125 I waited until I could find a pair or them to put in it. I have never had an arrow crab so I cant speak for them.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

The arrow crab might make a meal out of your coral banded at some point if he's a good bit larger. They feed on inverts, bristle worms, feather dusters, snails, etc...
I think they're neat looking, but will not be beneficial in any way to a reef tank.. Just my 2 cents.

I think the coral banded's are pretty harmless, feed him a little something every now and then and he'll be a happy camper.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Buzz
Amoeba

Arrow Crab

Post by Buzz »

Well, I caught the arrow crab picking away at my flowerpot coral this morning before the lights came on. Took me all day but I caught him. He is now living in his new home under the tank.

Later,
Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Brandon wrote:The arrow crab might make a meal out of your coral banded at some point if he's a good bit larger. They feed on inverts, bristle worms, feather dusters, snails, etc...
I think they're neat looking, but will not be beneficial in any way to a reef tank.. Just my 2 cents.

I think the coral banded's are pretty harmless, feed him a little something every now and then and he'll be a happy camper.
In the wild, they will make snacks out of small fish, as well. They will use that long, pointed rostrum to literally spear fish out of the water column. Ask Caribbean collectors about it and they will tell you all about these guys.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium