Buffer or TECH PART AB

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

enteri_00
Amoeba

Buffer or TECH PART AB

Post by enteri_00 »

Okay so I was bored the other day and being new at the saltwater world I got to looking at my nifty growing collection of chemicals I can add to the tank. Because I have had the fortunate opportunity to inherit a few of these chemicals I got to wondering what the difference of Nano Reef PArt B Tech Part B, Coral Builder and Super Buffer. As I got to looking at the ingredients I noticed that they all have basically the same ingredients. BIcarbonate and salts being the main ingredients. So as I was trying to figure out which to add to bring up my alk. cause it was done below 9 I got to wondering out of all these which is the best. So I leave that to you all for opinions...which is the prefferred...the buffer, the coral builder, nano part B, or Tech CB part B...they all contain Bicarbonate...Any opinions is welcome
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Personally, I would just use the Coral Builder. All these buffer products contain salts, since pretty much all are bicarbonate salts. It has several distinct advantages over the other products you listed in that:
1. it does not raise pH appreciably like Superbuffer dKH (though this product gives more 'complete' buffering, in that it adds carbonate, borate, etc.)
2. it does not take nearly as much of it as the alkalinity part of Tech CB (which can get prohibitive if you use that to boost the alkalinity).

I prefer to use the balanced additives, like the different two parts, kalkwasser, etc to maintain the levels, not raise them. I would use calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate to adjust the levels to where they need to be, then maintain them with the other additives.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

How big is your tank? How rapidly does your alk drop? What is your normal pH?

By far the cheapest and easiest method of adjusting high demand alk and calcium is with baking soda/washing soda and calcium carbonate(Dowflake).

If your uptake of these items is not very high, daily additions of kalkwasser (available as Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime at Walmart for 10% of the price) would be the ticket. As Andrew mentioned, kalkwasser/pickling lime is a balanced additive so you don't have to worry about how much of each to add unless you have an unbalanced demand.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

What section of walmart is the pickling lime in? I have looked by the mason jars and didn't see it.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Winn Dixie sometimes has it.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
AQUAMAN
Amoeba

Post by AQUAMAN »

I buy kalk & calcium cloride in bulk, so I can sell it cheap...5.99/pound.

If anyone needs some just come by the shop..we allways have it.
Looking For a Coral Fix??...I'm here to help!!
Progressive Marine LLC
6412 Airport Blvd
Mobile,Al 36608
http://www.progressivemarine.com
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Thats pretty cheap Rich.

I have always found the pickling lime by the mason jars or the baking soda isle. I did see it at Winn Dixie the other day as well.
enteri_00
Amoeba

Post by enteri_00 »

kalkwasser? I have seen that used by others...how exactly does it work in conjunction with other additives? Really, the only demand I can tell of comes from the drop in alkalinity...I have never used kalkwasser before and well I have a small tank a 20g...so if that is of any help..but a little more knowledge on kalkwasser would be good to know
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Kalkwasser (lime-water) is a saturated solution of calcium hydroxide (or oxide, which becomes hydroxide when exposed to freshwater). Basically, it releases calcium and alkalinity ions in the water when it is mixed, so it is balanced (i.e. no two part, etc). You mix a manageable batch with fresh water, let it sit for a few hours or so, and SLOWLY drip it into your tank. It has a high pH and will consequently quickly raise your tank's pH also. Many people opt to top off their tank with it exclusively (myself included). However, you should be cautious when adding it to small tanks, since fluctuations can happen quickly in smaller containers. It is best not to add more than 2% or so of your tank volume per day to prevent dangerous pH increases. The other alternatives, like two part solutions, work well and are probably a better option for smaller tanks.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium