10 gallon Lighting

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

HAMsmith
Amoeba

10 gallon Lighting

Post by HAMsmith »

Is anyone selling lighting for a 10 gallon?

I'm looking for something like the Coralife 96w quad fixture. I would like to stay on the cheap side too, maybe 50ish bucks.

I tried to use the setup shown below and it just isn't working out. I've blown two of the bulbs in two weeks and the output (when working) is less than stellar. The setup is a standard AGA hood (made for incandescents) with Coralife 20w 50/50 screw-in compacts.

Thanks,

Martin
Attachments
lights resize.jpg
lights resize.jpg (96.88 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

The 96 w quad tubes are alright. What exactly are you trying to do with the tank?
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
HAMsmith
Amoeba

Post by HAMsmith »

It is a tank I have in my office. It has zoos, mushrooms, GSP, button polyps in it currently. I might want something like a frogspawn as the centerpiece coral.

The tank will also have 1 or 2 fish, most likely small gobies.

It is mostly just a fun tank that I put together with some non-reefing coworkers.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Sounds like a plan to me.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
redpheonix
Copepod

canopy

Post by redpheonix »

You could manufacture a small canopy and still use the 2 20w 50/50's and put a small marineglow or power glow bulb in there. I had a 2.5 gal nano that had probably 10-15 different frags in it and it had 8 wpg in it using a 50/50 20w. you could buid a small hood or canopy and use the double fixture you already have and buy a small floresscent strip lite from lowes for like 10 bucks and then get a power or marine glow. should give you more than adequate liighting and not produce to much heat and still have a good viewing spectrum.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
HAMsmith
Amoeba

Post by HAMsmith »

I like the canopy idea. I may do that in some form or fashion.

One of my 50/50s went out so I replaced it with a cheapo GE 6,500k bulb for the time being.

Here is what the tank looks like now with the 20w 50/50 bulb on the left and a 13w 6,500k bulb on the right. For comparison the pumps should be the same color as they are identical Maxi-Jets.
Attachments
new bulb edit.jpg
new bulb edit.jpg (138.6 KiB) Viewed 1944 times
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

i like the 50/50 light better... but i have used them before... they seem to have better color and are still bright... thats why when i had a little larger tank i added the florescent just to add to the spectrum.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred