Board staying up.

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Board staying up.

Post by snoopdog »

After a month of thinking heavily on the subject, and trying to weigh out both ends, I am bringing the board down. I have totally lost interest in keeping it going, the updates, spam, maintenance have made it to where it is more work than fun. It has been a learning endeavor if nothing else, and fun most of the time. When the board started years ago it was supposed to be a "group" effort and 95% of the orginal members are either no longer in the hobby or MIA.

I have no ETA on when I am actually bringing it down, probably within the week, up to two weeks. I would suggest that any of us that want to keep in touch plan on frequenting something like reefcentral that have local message boards.

If you have pictures saved or in the gallery and want them, please download them now.
Last edited by snoopdog on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Buzz
Amoeba

Post by Buzz »

Kevin,

Would it be possible to get a listing of the email addresses from the board? I'm gonna try and keep something going for the local folks here in Mobile and the Eastern Shore. I understand your decision to get out of the forum business. I'm sure you've been thinking over this for a while. I've only been involved for about 6 months but I would like to say "Thanks!" for everything you've done. I have received lots of info from this site and really hate to see it go away. If you don't feel comfortable giving a list of e mail addresses, would you send a link to them for me when we get a new site up and running?

Again, Thanks for keeping it going as long as you have.

Later,
Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I would be ok sending a link for everyone maybe, but no I cannot give out anyone's email address, that is a privacy issue.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Buzz
Amoeba

Post by Buzz »

I totally understand about the privacy thing. I'll get with you as soon as I have some info..

Thanks again,
Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
Bkndsdl
Amoeba

Post by Bkndsdl »

okay, everyone, I post this with Kevin's consent.

Gulfareareefers.com will be up and running in 3 days. For now, we will have a forum on Reef Central, just as Panhandle has. We may decide later to purchase a forum or build our own forum, but for right now it's important to have a stand-in while we decide what we want. Reef Central is a free service, so why not use it until we get a better plan.

I want to take this time to thank Kevin and Amy for their support; it really takes alot to keep a website and forum going.
-Mike
http://bkndsdl1.home.mchsi.com/
Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?
There is NO SUCH THING as a hot water heater.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Will certainly keep an eye out for it. :)

They seem to be a nice bunch of folks on the panhandle forum, too.

I'll sure miss this one, though.
Buzz
Amoeba

Site going down.

Post by Buzz »

Kevin,

Just wondering how hard it would be to just let someone else take over the site. Is this something you would be willing to do? You could hang around as a mod if you wanted to but take all the headache off your hands. I really like the club name and would like to see people (especially the new guys) to still come to the same place. Give it a little thought if you don't mind and let me know.

Thanks,
Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Believe it or not, there are legal issues there. Turning it over to someone that I do not know can have an impact. Suddenly I turned over something that has people's private messages, there email, etc. You could imagine my liability if someone took that information and exploited it.

Also there are several months left of the hosting, etc. The domain is also registered in my name, but I will be letting the domain go. Now if someone wants to make a forum, etc I can point the DNS over to the new I.P. address, etc if someone wants to go that route.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Bkndsdl
Amoeba

Post by Bkndsdl »

The legal ramifications are something we didn't want to mess with, and that's why we decided to change the name, and go an entirely different route than just 'picking up' where Kevin left off. Also, I know how attached you can get to a website; I went through the same thing several years ago.

Kevin, I wanted to ask you if you could point MBRK traffic to gulfareareefers.com, but I thought that might be too much too soon. I know this has been your 'baby' for quite some time.
-Mike
http://bkndsdl1.home.mchsi.com/
Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?
There is NO SUCH THING as a hot water heater.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

After carefull consideration and many emails, pm's asking for the board to stay up I made a decision to keep it running. I honestly did not think people really still cared to have it around. I do understand as people said, this is the only place local to really correspond.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Personally, I'm happy to hear that. :)
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I am very happy to here that the site is staying up and running. If we can do anything to help please just let us know.

Thanks Kevin
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
Suziq21
Amoeba

Post by Suziq21 »

Yeah! That's great news! Thank you Kevin!!! :D
enteri_00
Amoeba

Post by enteri_00 »

You really do us all a big service that is beyond appreciation. Thankyou for doing all that you can and making the right choice...you must drink samuel adams..."always a good choice" ...j/k thanks for the decision
satchmofish
Amoeba

Post by satchmofish »

I also wish to extend my thanks. this is my only source of info on what is going on in my area. I haven't been to a meeting yet, I always seem to have something I can't get out of. I hope to soon. Thanks for all you guys do.

-Russ
uncommon valor was a common virtue