Anemone care

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

casey
Amoeba

Anemone care

Post by casey »

Ok picked up a LTA today I have been reading up on them alot.Anybody want to give me some tips on keeping it alive and healthy?
Michelle
Amoeba

Post by Michelle »

Don't feed it more than once every 4-6 weeks. Anemones have a very slow metabolism... they are hurt more by overfeeding than underfeeding. Don't pull it off of a rock either, damage to the base could kill it. Beyond those two general rules they're easy ;)
Thanks!
Michelle @ Fat Fish
28851 N. Main St., Ste. D
Daphne, AL 36526
251-626-0926
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

ok thanks Michelle.
armouredcat
Amoeba

Post by armouredcat »

I never fed my anenome....I was not aware that he needed to be fed. Although he ate a few of his fellow tank mates so I guess I didnt have to feed him :P
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

armouredcat wrote:I never fed my anenome....I was not aware that he needed to be fed. Although he ate a few of his fellow tank mates so I guess I didnt have to feed him :P
You see you were feeding him.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Michelle wrote:Don't feed it more than once every 4-6 weeks. Anemones have a very slow metabolism... they are hurt more by overfeeding than underfeeding. Don't pull it off of a rock either, damage to the base could kill it. Beyond those two general rules they're easy ;)
My experience has been very different. I have always fed my anemone at least 3x per week with no issues for about 12 years. They don't necessarily have a slow metabolism, though one can be induced by lower temperature. Without feeding, they cannot grow and properly repair tissue. If conditions are optimal, they may maintain mass, but without proteinaceous foods, they will simply use tissue mass for energy, resulting in shrinking. The key when feeding properly is to give small pieces to assist digestion (greater surface area for reactions), proper food type and amount of food. If in doubt, always feed a bit less, since the anemone will simply egest the rest of the food if it is too much.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
StoneFish
Amoeba

Post by StoneFish »

Ah, yes. The great information some LFS put out. As long as you don't feed your anemone or try to pull it off a rock, it is easy. WTF!!!???!!!

LTA also do better with a deep sand bed, where they will attach their foot to the bottom glass, and pull themselves under the sand at night.

Lighting and water quality should be good. Some slight circualtion over them. Host anemones are harder to keep than most corals. Long term sucess is not measured in a few months to a year, but rather decades.

When in doubt, listen to Andrew!
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

ok thanks guys for all the replies.:)
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Put up a pic when you can, Casey. :)
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

Heres a pic for ya:)
Attachments
greenie 002.jpg
greenie 002.jpg (129.56 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Very cool. 8) I hope it does well for you. :)
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Um....If Casey will allow me to say something here....

In response to a previous post on this thread, I find it counterproductive to personally bash anyone for their opinion, especially when opinions/experiences are asked for. The point of these forums is to be able to gather different info from people and hopefully make an informed decision on what/how to do what you're asking. Opinions will often vary, and each person is certainly allowed to state their reasons for that opinion. To attack any person for something they say is unfair and unnecessary.
Just my opinion....

Back to the thread. :)
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

I'll second Sue's opinion. To me, that is what seperates MBRK from RC. I enjoy the relaxed and non confrontational flavor here. I've been doing aquariums for a long time (can you say slate bottom, metal frame tank) but there is still tons of information I don't know. The nice thing about posting here is that people don't seem to (I think the term is flame) others. You can ask a question or state your opinion without getting bashed. I hope it can stay that way.

I save my sarcasm and cynasism for RC. It's more fun to pick on folks over there. They tend to often not think before they post. I think Sue will agree to that as well!! :)
Doc :D
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Still looks a bit deflated, Casey, but I don't think it is much to worry about right now. The good thing is that it is not bleached. Has it settled into a location?--it appears to have, but I can't tell for sure in the pic. They do prefer a deep sand bed, often digging down, curving upward and attaching their foot deep in the sand under a rock. If it seems to be settled ok, then you can begin feeding. You may or may not need to try different foods. My recommendation is to start out with silversides, small pieces of them. Observe it periodically for several hours (don't feed at times you can't observe it, IME, night feedings are best, mainly so things won't steal it and they seem to be more receptive to food at night). If it spits it back up after several hours, the food is not quite right, so try something like krill, squid, etc., etc. If it eats it completely, then congrats! You have found your anemone's preference. Until you are sure of its continued health (close to a year is what I recommend), I would feed it, as in my earlier post, at least 3x per week. You may be able to drop down to 2, but observe your anemone's response. If it begins to shrink, then feed more. When fully grown, this species gets around 20" in diameter, so be prepared.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

Thanks guy's I value everyones opinions and love to hear from you all.Sue you know you can post anything you like :D I feed him some silversides tonight and he took them right in so I guess he liked them,
He has settled down and has not moved since I got him,I dont have any sand I run a BB tank so he cant bury himself he seems to like where he is
my cinammon clown is already hosting in him.ooop clarki jumped in LOL
Attachments
clownee.jpg
clownee.jpg (123.96 KiB) Viewed 3163 times
Last edited by casey on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.