Couple of large tanks on ebay

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brandon
Chromis

Couple of large tanks on ebay

Post by Brandon »

Quite a few large tanks for sale on ebay in our area right now, if someone were looking to upgrade:

225:
http://cgi.ebay.com/225-Gal-Saltwater-F ... dZViewItem

225:
http://cgi.ebay.com/225-gallon-aquarium ... dZViewItem

250:
http://cgi.ebay.com/250-Gallon-Aquarium ... dZViewItem
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

*sigh* If only my floor could handle it.... :lol: :lol:
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I'd have to reinfore the floor in most of my house also, I just couldn't deal with the amount of humidity it would put in the house. I would need to downsize my a/c so it would run more often, or setup a really serious dehumidifier, or maybe put the aquarium in-wall with it's own a/c. I don't know how some people do it. Like Liz had the 500 gallon tank and the really monster sump setup in a central location in her house. Seems like it would make it like a rainforest inside to me.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I find the humidity issue interesting. I have quite a few tanks in here and it doesn't ever seem humid, but now that I think about it, it doesn't seem to get as dry in the winter as it used to. It's really not noticeable in the summer.
I like the in wall with it's own AC idea. Is that AFTER you win the lottery? :P
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

It's so humid here compared to the rest of the US, that I don't see where it could be that much of an issue (at least not one that we don't already experience anyway). Of course, this isn't really considering a HUGE tank. Anyone around here should have humidity resistant/mold resistant sheetrock, wood, etc. There are points in time where it is up to 90% humidity in the house--and not from an aquarium.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Beaver
Amoeba

Post by Beaver »

Brandon Chime in on this and anybody else that has a supported opinion.

A friend of mine has been considering a whole house dehumidifier. The ac people I talk to recomend it. Then the other day another fellow said with the use of said product the evaporation level would increse any thoughts on this guys and makes some sense but just looking for options.

The Evil Beaver
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

A whole house unit might change the saturation point which could increase the evap rate some what. I think if you set it around 40-50% you wouldn't exp much change in the evap rate. Where you would notice the difference would be in the fact that you would be able to set your ac thermostat at a higher temp to be comfortable with the lower relative humidity in the house. The higher temp would likely effect evap rates more than the dehumidifier.

You should be able to replace your inside unit with a higher-end model with a variable speed DC fan motor for about the same price as having the dehumidifier installed. These units make adjustments for high-humidity conditions and run whisper quiet. They also add almost a full SEER point to most outdoor units so it also saves money.

Thats where I would (and did) put my money.

Joe