Talbot Damsel

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

OCD
Amoeba

Talbot Damsel

Post by OCD »

I have 2 Talbot Damsel's and 1 That seems to have laid egg's. I'm know you need a mail and and a female to have fertile egg's. But will a female lay egg's with out a male?????? The only stupid question is the one not asked Right?
Its Not Just a Hobby IT IS A OBSESSION!!!!
100 Gallon Reef tank
20 Gallon quarantine
55 Gallon salt
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

OMG you don't have one do you? I had one that went from about 1/4 inch to 5 inches in the space of a year and he was wso aggressive he started killing everything. Guess how we got him out? We put a tiny piece of shrimp on a bass hook and went fishing for him!!! Yep, you heard that right...we fished him out. You do what you have to do. We then took him down to B & B and wished him a happy home in someone else's tank.

Damn good thing you wont have a whole tank full of fry!!!! HEHEHEHEHEHE

OMGOMGOMGOMG
OCD
Amoeba

Post by OCD »

We have 2 both about 1and a half inches long. Also have 2 blue devels, 2 tuxcedo, 4 lemon, 1 domino,1 gold stripped marron clown and 1 false perk I think.
These 3 think they like each other.
100 Gallon Reef tank
20 Gallon quarantine
55 Gallon salt
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

lzb3 wrote:OMG you don't have one do you? I had one that went from about 1/4 inch to 5 inches in the space of a year and he was wso aggressive he started killing everything. Guess how we got him out? We put a tiny piece of shrimp on a bass hook and went fishing for him!!! Yep, you heard that right...we fished him out. You do what you have to do. We then took him down to B & B and wished him a happy home in someone else's tank.

Damn good thing you wont have a whole tank full of fry!!!! HEHEHEHEHEHE

OMGOMGOMGOMG
Wow, that was a little while back. I remember you handing it to me. It wasn't a Talbot's, though. I think it was one of the giant Stegastes species--yours was a different beast altogether. If I remember correctly, it looked something like this:

To answer your question, yes it is possible (though not necessarily very common). It is much more likely that you actually have a mated pair.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

You are correct. I didn't have one of Talbot's damsels. But I didn't have the specific species that's in your pic either. The beast I had was Stegastes mellis or the dear sweet Honey Damsel (NOT). You can do a search and read all about it. I just don't suggest you buy one...

Eli-
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

While I dont have any tips for ya OCD, its nice to see someone else from my neck of the woods. I lived in Saucier almost all of my adult life. Moved to Gulfport 3 weeks before Katrina (perfect timing huh?)

I would kill to have a nice large tank. :) All of your stuff looks great. Very nice looking anemone and fish. Very nice. Im dying to get mine going again now.

John
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
35lbs Fiji rock (taken by Katrina)
50lbs Live Sand (taken by Katrina)
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
OCD
Amoeba

Post by OCD »

We did get both the Talbot's at the same time but they were in separate tanks for about 5 months that s my wife had a 30g tall and i had a 45g corner tank. Then at the beginning of April we combined every thing into a 100g.Its been allot of fun so far.
100 Gallon Reef tank
20 Gallon quarantine
55 Gallon salt
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

lzb3 wrote:You are correct. I didn't have one of Talbot's damsels. But I didn't have the specific species that's in your pic either. The beast I had was Stegastes mellis or the dear sweet Honey Damsel (NOT). You can do a search and read all about it. I just don't suggest you buy one...

Eli-
Yeah, couldn't remember exactly what it looked like, but I did remember it was one of the Stagastes. I remember that beast beat up the triggerfish we ended up housing it with, :lol: . Had to move the poor thing out.
Andrew

OCD
Amoeba

Post by OCD »

Finally got a pic of one of them. pic doesn't show the true color its orange and purple.
Thanks for the comments lzb3, Amphiprion, and Hcjohn.
Last edited by OCD on Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
100 Gallon Reef tank
20 Gallon quarantine
55 Gallon salt
OCD
Amoeba

Post by OCD »

Here is a Pic of what I got my wife for her B-Day yesterday.(Fox Coral its been on her wish list)Have to go to Abbevile,La this weekend her nease had a boy yesterday on her B-Day she said that was a cool Present also.
Her ex-brother law has a 380g that is about 2 and a half months old so we get to see how its coming along.
100 Gallon Reef tank
20 Gallon quarantine
55 Gallon salt
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Very nice OCD. The tank just keeps getting better and better.

By the way, where are you getting your livestock? Pretty much the only local stores I know of stink to say it nicely. That being Crystal Reef and PassRoad Pets. (Although Gerwin as PassRoad is a really nice guy and their prices are decent, there store is just always stocked very low)
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Looks like your damsel is actually Chrysiptera rex (or king damsel/blue face damsel):

This is a Talbot's damsel (Chrysiptera talboti):
Andrew

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Hey, Liz. I didn't realize it before, but I stumbled across the taxonomic data on Stegastes mellis while I was looking for the pics above, and they changed the name to Stegastes diencaeus. That was a lucky guess on my part, since I just grabbed one of the random brownish ones I saw. There were about 2-3 others that looked almost exactly the same.
Andrew

OCD
Amoeba

Post by OCD »

Pass Road pets Is where we go. every thing we get from crystal reef dies within days except for the gold stripped clown. Gerwin will order things for us when he can get it. Thing with him is he stays with one supplier.Then he gets salt water in one week then fresh water the following week.
Saltwater Universe opened in D'ibeville but he has allot of dead stuff in his tanks but there tanks have only been running for about 3 to 5 months.
100 Gallon Reef tank
20 Gallon quarantine
55 Gallon salt
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Gerwin has always helped me out. Hes a really good guy. I wish their stock was better, but hes great.

Ive never heard of Saltwater Universe. I might have to look those guys up. Sad to hear about all of the dead stuff though. :(
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting