Which one wins?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

Which one wins?

Post by sb1227 »

Ok, at least from my experience, when a fight occurs between Acropora and just about anything else, the Acropora loses.
I thought this one was fascinating. The Acropora had grown a little too close to this Montipora, the neat thing is it wasn't even touching it.
Wish I could have gotten the pic this morning, it was much more pronounced.
Attachments
Acromonti.jpg
Acromonti.jpg (68.74 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Montipora spp. are pretty much the all around losers IME (well, them and Porites spp.). I have watched some Acropora attempt to digest some Pocillopora, only to have it retaliate (and win). They can be aggressive, but they don't always win. They mostly compete through shading.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Now that's interesting, I have noticed it the other way around. I couldn't tell, but I wonder which tried to digest the other first..I had assumed the Montipora had. It is just an observation of course, and does depend on the species of Montipora, but they just seem to grow around other species and go on.
I do agree with the outcompeting by shading, although I've found it helpful as well with lower light corals. I use a big Acropora Colony to shade the Red zoanthids down on the bottom of the tank, as they would be burned by the lighting without some shade.
Encrusting Porites I hadn't thought about, but it does seem they lose more often than not. At least in spots. :lol:
reefman8471
Amoeba

Acropora vs Montipora

Post by reefman8471 »

My Acropora millipora fell on a Montipora digitata once and burned the monti pretty bad.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
yardboy
Amoeba

Post by yardboy »

Purple montipora cap versus Acropora "Green Bali Slimer", almost lost all the Monti. Had to get very heavy handed with the fragging.
Beware the advice of those with dollar signs in their eyes.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Man, I miss that game. :lol: