Hello from Pensacola

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

flricordia
Amoeba

Hello from Pensacola

Post by flricordia »

Also known as lower Alabama. At least that is what I have heard from many since moving here from OKC. Glad I am not there anymore. Cold I don't handle too well since blood thinned living down here.
Anyway, new to this forum, actually never knew about it till of late, but thought it would be nice to be on a local forum.
Here is my present set-up. 75gl corner Ricordia tank. Though there are some odds and ends I am converting to all ricordia with a few zoanthids here and there and will probably keep some of the more colorful mushrooms. I basically live, breath and have even tryed smoking ricordia (kidding about the smoking). Guess we all have a coral/fish we have become fond of. I have tryed to get away from them, but it is like there is an adiction to them. I think a crack addiction would be cheaper, just not as fun.
Aslo, is this forum affiliated with RC? I noticed the same format.

reefman8471
Amoeba

Welcome

Post by reefman8471 »

Great looking tank.....I haven't ever seen a ricordia dominated tank. Welcome aboard.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
flricordia
Amoeba

Re: Welcome

Post by flricordia »

reefman8471 wrote:Great looking tank.....I haven't ever seen a ricordia dominated tank. Welcome aboard.

James
Thanks.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

A nice tank, indeed. I gravitated away from softies, myself. I wouldn't mind devoting a tank to them, though. This forum isn't on RC exactly, but most of the members are there every now and then. I was very active there for years until the last several months (same screen name). Welcome to the forums!
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Very, very nice. I've become quite the fan of Riccordias. Those are really good pics. Welcome, btw. :)

Where HAVE you been, Andrew? You're not getting wild in your old age are you? :P
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: Hello from Pensacola

Post by snoopdog »

flricordia wrote: Aslo, is this forum affiliated with RC? I noticed the same format.
Nope, just the same software.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

Real good looking tank. Makes me want to drop the money and buy a new one.
flricordia
Amoeba

Post by flricordia »

Here's the tank I have been thinking of setting up. It is 60"x24"x24". Not 100% sure I am going to make the leap as I was also thinking of selling it. Just can't make up my mind. It has a PFO dual 400wtMH and a 1/3hp chiller but I think the T5s would really be the way to go. Save on having to use the chiller. Wish I could decide. I have never had a FOWLR tank so there again, another possibility for its use. Oh, well. I think I will get through the holidays first then make up my mind.
Any input? Set up reef? FOWLR? Sell? How about a Freshwater planted tank? My head hurts.

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

you have all the equipment for a very nice reef. I would stick with that. If you do FW planted with that light, you'll hate yourself--you'd probably have to route your local sewage effluent into the tank to keep the right levels. You won't need a chiller if you do things carefully--get all low energy consuming pumps, etc., which have more of an influence on tank temps anyway. Additionally, with that kind of lighting, you should always have strong air circulation around them to vent excess heat to begin with. If you use things like eheim pumps, tunze (or vortech), you could get away with the 400s.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

you'd probably have to route your local sewage effluent into the tank to keep the right levels.
ROTFLMAO!!! :lol: :lol:

I mean......gee Andrew, there's an idea....... :P
flricordia
Amoeba

Post by flricordia »

Actually, though I use RO/DI Milton has the cleanest water around. No phosphates even. The computer that measures the city water quality for the medical facilities kept going off-line when first installed because it wasn't reading anything in the water. I have even used it to start a reef tank with for the initial start up and never had any problems with diatoms or any other nuaisance algaes. ph is at 9 so mixing it with salt mix brings it right in line.
I do have a couple of Icecap variable speed fans, but in the summer temps with 2 400wt MH in a small canopy like this can still rise in the tank pretty high, unless I run the air all the time.
But all in all, you are right. How can you go F/W once you have tasted S/W?
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

F/W has value in itself, and can be just as demanding, actually more in some instances. :D

You might do better to use 250 MH instead of those 400's, if you can trade or sell them. It just depends on what you want in the tank, but it sure would be easier on your electric bill. :lol:
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

sb1227 wrote:
you'd probably have to route your local sewage effluent into the tank to keep the right levels.
ROTFLMAO!!! :lol: :lol:

I mean......gee Andrew, there's an idea....... :P
Well, he would :lol: Can you imagine the ludicrous amount of growth! I shudder at how often flricordia would have to trim just to keep things in line...
Andrew

otto486
Amoeba

Post by otto486 »

Hows it goin flricordia. I'm moving to pensacola when I graduate to study Marine biology at UWF. I hear ya about it bein WAY TOO COLD up north.

Any good LFS in Pensacola?
flricordia
Amoeba

Post by flricordia »

otto486 wrote:Hows it goin flricordia. I'm moving to pensacola when I graduate to study Marine biology at UWF. I hear ya about it bein WAY TOO COLD up north.

Any good LFS in Pensacola?
Damn cold here right now too.
There are a couple good LRS here. SOmetimes they get some nice corals in. Kind of pricy, especially drygoods.
Give a hollar when you get down here. Sounds like a good field of study. From what I understand the dwarf seahorse is found in the bay here and also around Apallachicola there is some nice snoreling and plenty of nice dives too.