Dive trip.

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Snakeman
Astrea snail

Dive trip.

Post by Snakeman »

I am going to try to go diving sunday depending on the weather. I'm going out of town until Saturday night so i'll post if i'm still going for any body that wants to meet me down there Saturday night. I'll probably go to Alabama point on the west jetties and wall. The tides should be very slow but the water will probably not be to clear. Here is my #583-7355. IZb3 do you still want about 3 urchins?
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Is that all you can get are Urchins ? How about like Ricordia ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

We don't any of that. About the only coral at alabama point is sea whips and there is not a lot of that.

I will be going tomorrow if anybody wants to go.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

My wife and I went to extreme adventures last weekend and priced stuff out.... looks like about $800 or little more per person, to get ALL equipment (excluding tank, but including BC/harness)... I'm still trying to talk her into it, we're gonna sign up foir a free SCUBA class and see how she likes it.
-Josh Murrah
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

Call my dive shop and see what kind of deal that they can make you on your gear and class. They have a combo special I think. Ask for Chas at Under water works, in Daphne. 928-5550. Tell him Tree boy told you to call.

It was stroming at the gulf today so I didn't get wet except for getting rained on. The water was pretty nasty looking too.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I have an XL (Scubapro or dacor, not sure) BC, and octopus w/ triple gauge setup with two regulators (Sherwood, I think) and bc attachment, I was going to ebay, let me know if you're interested in it. I want ever be using them again, so I figured I might as well get rid of this stuff.

Ebaying these spares:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3621026238
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3621026386

Just sold these on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3620259341
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3620269645
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

What size waist and height/weight are you? I have a 36-38 inch waist, and I'm 6'1", 200 lbs. Isn't the octopus and two regulator setup overkill for a beginner?
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I am pretty sure you will be learning with a two regulator setup. You generally always want to have two. I'm wearing 36 size now, and am 5'11". If you wear xl t-shirts this would probably fit you.
You should check out to see if the dive shop would offer you a good combo deal all your equipment and lessons, might get a great deal that way also.

Just looked at it, regulators are sherwood and healthways, and console is Suunto. Console has depth, air pressure and compass.

Now that I'm thinking about it the bc could also be u.s. divers, I can't remember, I haven't had my coffee yet :)

Found where i had put pictures:
1st four pix:
http://66.133.169.60/~brandon/stuff/index.htm
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

They have a lot of trade in stuff at the dive shop too.

How was your trip Brandon? That's a cool looking car.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I just talked to the dive shop and to get the combo deal it's $1895.00 that everything except the tank. Lessons, wet suit, weight intergrated BC with Air2, regulators, gauges, mask, snorkle, fins. All of this gear is scubapro or sherwood with is very high end. Private lesson add $200.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Holy crap! That's a leeeeeetle more than I priced out locally, like 2x more. Granted, I didn't price TOP grade stuff, but then again, I priced the better stuff, good booties/fins, a good set of goggles with a purge, etc.

For now, Deanna and I are doing a free scuba class through adventures unlimited here in Mobile... and we'll go from there... if anything, we'll just do the YMCA scuba classes coming up on the 11th (195 for non-members and 165 for members). Deanna's unsure if she can mentally take being underwater like that, so best to try it out with a free class first :)
-Josh Murrah
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

OK, I went shopping online, and U.S. Divers doesn't even produce that "brand" at all, they now sell Aqualung branded stuff. How old is that BC? What are you asking for the BC, regulators, console and octopus?
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

No.. I didn't figure they did. I am not sure on the age, I last used it when I was in montgomery which was 4 years ago, so probably 6-7 years old. I consider it in perfect condition.
How about $200? I think thats probably pretty cheap.
I also have three steel tanks I will let go for a $120 for all three. I believe 1-2 of them are at my moms and not here in bay minette with me though. They will need to be hydro'd I'm pretty sure.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

So $320 for the whole shebang? Aged or not, if it's for everything you listed (BC/regulators/console/guages & tanks), sounds like a great deal to me. Would you let me take the equipment to a local dive shop and have them check it out? I know that I priced octopus / regulators / BC, and just those alone were gonna be around 600 new, for very basic models. The scuba classes are gonna require 6 open water dives too, so having equipment instead of renting it, will pay for itself just during the classes.
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

You definetly need to take the regulators to a shop before your life depends on them. Not a problem.

Like I said on the tanks, I don't have all of them here, I'm not sure if I have 1 or 2 of them here, but the other(s) are at my mum's & can pick them up when I am up there.

require 6 open water? Hrm.. this is PADI? When I did my classes the equipment came with the class, and they really wanted you to use their stuff.. may be different where you take it. You'll love it though, especially the open water dives at the end.