10 Gallon Nano

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

Okay...

1: Is it really? Why?

2: I am under the impression that placed high in the tank under power compacts it will survive, but do I need to work on metal halides?

3:Okay, I got this at B&B, but I did so under the impressions I developed after reading lots of online articles. I didn't ask for the guy's input, so if it is wrong for the tank, I am at fault, not B&B.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

You are seriously going way to fast and not researching what you are buying. Clams are not for the novice, it is sure to die in a 10 gallon tank. Them even selling you the clam without drilling you on your equipment is typical of a retailer. That clam needs halides minimum, PC are not going to do it. You cannot do halides over that tank, you will cook your tank. Ultimately the responsible thing to do is get the clam to someone that can properly take care of it or ask for a refund on the clam.

Doing a simple search on google for "crocea minimum lighting" and the 4th hit down the page.

The minimum recommended lighting requirement for a healthy Crocea is under a 150 watt metal halide of a reliable 14k bulb at a maximum depth of 20 inches
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

OK, I have been researching, for one thing, and is it the tank volume that is too small? The clam's only about four inches from the light, under 130 watts... :(

This is from Wet Web:

<Looks to be T. Crocea.>
I have provided some pics so you can help me out. He is currently sitting about 14" under a custom sea life 130 watt fixture 65 of 10,000k and 65 of actinic.
<Move him as close to the top of the tank as possible with this lighting. And remember to change your bulbs at least every 9 months.>

I have the same lighting and it is very close to the lighting...
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

According to your entry post you said
Current USA Satellite 20" 2x28 wt. Compact Fluorescent w/ lunar light
If that still stands then you do not have enough light. Plus most people would try to be in the hobby longer before attempting a clam.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

You're right, and it still stands...I was looking around and got my watts mixed up... :(

I put another 36 watts in light on it, but it hangs over the edges a little(came from a 20 long)...

Am I wrong for attempting the clam, or wrong for not waiting long enough in the hobby? I assume you mean the reef-keeping hobby? Not just aquarium hobby in general?

Can I mod a small metal halide in?

:?
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Anyone and everyone will tell you it is irresponsible to attempt a clam in a 10 gallon no matter how much light you give it.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

Okay, so now what? :?
2Timer
Amoeba

Post by 2Timer »

If you determine you need to move the clam, let me know. Money's tight but I'd rather see him live.

Shoot me a message if you have no place for it and maybe we can work something out.
reefman8471
Amoeba

Tridacna crocea

Post by reefman8471 »

I have never kept a crocea in a tank as small as 10 gallons. I do have one in my current tank, a 100 gallon with 250 watt MH. That being said I did keep one two or three years ago in a 40 long under 260 wt of power compacts (2, 10K and 2, Actinics). I can't remember how long the clam lived but I believe it was around eight months or so. When it did pass it was rather quick. It didn't open up at first and within a day or so after that it began to decay. While I cannot be certain that it wasn't the lack of light intensity (probably more of a lack of photosynthetically active radiation), I believe it probably was too much heat.
Most people wouldn't recommend putting clams or SPS corals in a tank as small as 10 gallons. The main reason for this in my mind is that water parameters are so difficult to keep stable in such a small body of water. I believe that you may be able to provide enough light and the clam only gets about 6 inches. The Tridacna crocea is the smallest of the giant clams (Tridacna). It will not really outgrow the tank. Your biggest problem is going to be maintaining stable water conditions. I have kept 10 gallon tanks before and believe me the water evaporates very fast especially with an open top. So, unless the tank is going to be really high tech with a sump keeping animals that require such stable conditions in a 10 gallon tank is probably not a good idea.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I agree with what James said. While it is possible to keep clams under lesser forms of lighting, your chances are greater with more intense options--metal halide and nicer T5 setups. For example, I had a T. crocea for over 2 years and a T. derasa for nearly 8 under simple VHOs. I actually lost them in the end due to Perkinsus infection, otherwise known as "pinched mantle." In fact, up until recently, most captive raised clams came in with the parasite (which is why there was a slight shortage of them, as well). They seem fine, gradually begin to withdraw and pinch in. Very soon, they don't open and they just die. That may have been what happened to yours, James.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

Have you ever heard of clams jumping? My Crocea closed and opened really fast, and landed mantle down on the LR...It doesn't look so hot... :(
AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

:( Within hours the clam receded into it's shell and began...melting or something...What on earth happened?! He fell down and died... :(
reefman8471
Amoeba

Clams

Post by reefman8471 »

Yes, they don't literally jump but that is what it looks like. Mine have done that before. They only do it when they are not happy where they are placed.
Tridacna crocea's live in crevices on a hard substrate in very shallow water exposed to intense radiation and strong water flow. In the aquarium some aquarist bury a flat piece of rock just beneath the sand and place the clam on top of the sand above the rock. In the wild the clam burrows through the rock to form a crevice and in an aquarium sometimes they will do this to the sand. This keeps the clam from falling off a rock and damaging themselves. They reach a maximum length of six inches.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

Okay, I've been researching, what do you guys think of a candy cane coral in my tank? :)
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Sounds like a good choice to me :)
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium