2 yellow tangs in 75gal

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

T.Perc
Amoeba

2 yellow tangs in 75gal

Post by T.Perc »

Hey snoopdog.....I took a look at your tank and it is stunning to say the least. My question is has anyone ever given you any crap about keeping 2 yellow tangs ? If not, why? Is your tank an exception to the rule? Just wondering cuz I decided to keep my 2 (2" hippo 3"scopas) tangs. I really get tired of getting crap when I mention the 2 I have. Should we keep ANY fish prisoners in our tanks? With the proper care/feeding tangs will fare just fine in the home aquarium. I know I'm setting myself up for a major flame so go right on ahead. Anybody else have tangs in thier tank? Why not admit it? Scared? Snoopdog does. 2 yellows. What gives? Is that just a reflection making it look like 2 yellow tangs? Maybe, but "one" is 2 many according to the "experts" on these boards. Tang advocates need to get off thier high horse and accept this hobby for what it is. A hobby. Trial and error - Plenty more where that came from but will hold off and give someone else a chance to flame or fess-up - you tang keepers know what I'm talking about :twisted: [/u]
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

No flaming here.....I love tangs and have 3 yellows, a sailfin, an orange shoulder, a scopas and an atlantic blue. I think that makes 7 in all......but of course I have a 500 gallon tank :D .

Some of the board members here have had bad experiences with tangs and diseases (if memory serves me correctly) and I can't blame them for their dislike of tangs based on their experience. I personally have had back luck with clams. :roll: I currently have one really pretty one that I have had for a while, but I have lost a total of 5 before this one. They have all been mail ordered, so maybe the shipping has been a problem. Whatever it is, I won't be buying any more for quite some time.

Anyway, I have no problem with keeping more than one tang in a tank as long as their is ample room for them. Yellows get pretty big....like 9 inches or so. At the point that they start to get really big, you may want to consider getting them a larger place to swim. :wink:

Good luck with them...BTW I run a UV sterilizer and I have not ever had any ick.....somepeople think the UV is bad, but I wouldn't run my system without it!

Good Day!

Elizabeth
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Well to be honest we have had up to 4 tangs in our 75 but they did not do well. We had just the one purple and decided to add a few. They were not all that large but they all stressed out. The purple was a dominant B#(*$&(@ and pretty much chased the crap out of the others and they ended up spreading ich from one fish to the next. We lost several fish that we had had for over 2 years, so we gave in broke down the tank and ousted them all. We got rid of all of our tangs, We got "flamed" for having them although we would not "flame" anyone for trying, it is just our experience they do not do well in multiples in a smaller tank. We had a small alantic blue for about 6 months with no ich- he just disappear one day and we have decided to not get any more- although who knows, we really need some algea control.

by the way this is Amy not Kevin
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I have one heck of a time just keeping two in a 100G... they're just sooooo territorial! My 2 year old yellow is the one, and only, tang that stays in that tank. Boy, is HE gonna get a surprise when the 240G goes in... he's gonna get a few new roomates!!!

Basicly, in a 4-5' tank, you can only keep one, MAYBE two if you're lucky. I would just stick with one.
-Josh Murrah
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Off topic here..but liz I agree with the uv. I had been fighting ich for couple of months and could not get rid of it...been running uv now for about 2mo and it is all but gone. will keep an eye out but I know it has helped.
T.Perc
Amoeba

Post by T.Perc »

Sorry if that post sounded a bit harsh. It wasn't ment to. I also run a u.v. Snoopdog - again , stunning tank. Later.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Had nothing but problems with Tangs and almost refuse to ever get anymore. Yes i was flamed badly on Reefs.org for having so many Tangs in a 75 gallon, i will never do it again i learnedmy lesson.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate