aquarium lost

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

aquarium lost

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

So last night, I did a water change and made the saltwater, added all of the additives the exact way i always do and then went to bed. When i got up, the aquarium was cloudy and when i turned on the light, my 2 cleaner shrimp were in the front dead. I then found my firefish goby and scopas tang dead. The only things still alive were my clownfish, cardinalfish, and engineer goby. I took them out but haven't decided what to do with them yet. I have started putting some corals in my predator tank but the water conditions in it are not addequate for corals (the fish that are in there won't mess with them.) My corals are starting to look bad now. This is the 2nd time in 3 years this has happened to me and i'm starting to think its not worth it anymore. It hurts to put so much into the aquarium and have it looking better than ever and then this happens. If anyone have a tank setup for corals and a clownfish and cardinal and wouldn't mind letting me keep some in there, please e-mail. thanks for the help.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Sorry to hear that this happened. What water did you mix the salt in? I have a small 65 gallon reef aquarium. I have one agressive Pajama cardinal in there with another Pajama, Yellow Tang, Clarkei, percula, Foxface and Clown Goby. I am new to the hobby.
jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

aquarium

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

I mixed the salt in to the buckets that had the water in them. That is all they have ever been used for and nothing else has ever been in them. Wierdly enough, now that the light has been on for around 4 hours, the corals look like nothing even happened to them.The fish are looking ok and swimming around fine. I ran and got water and took well over half of the water out but have to go back in the morning because its only 3/4 full. The water is so low that i can't run my skimmer or filter but my uv sterilizer is in the water so its ok. I got my magnum 350 and rigged it up so it will go deeper and it is cleaning right now. I have went back over everything trying to understand why it affected the fish but nothing else. Yesterday afternoon, they were perfectly fine so I don't think it would be a disease unless its one that hits and kills immediately and it can't be because the other 3 fish left are perfectly fine. I must have just done something wrong and didn't realize it. I was thinking that i may have put too much of a certain chemical in it but that would have affected the fish. I guess i may never know.
woolyt2
Amoeba

Post by woolyt2 »

did you let the water sit for a bit or did you just mix and pour? i had problems way back when and started to let sit for about a week before use and seem to have fewer problems ....just make sure to use a power head for 1 to 2 hours before change to remix and airate first