live rock

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

lowrider
Amoeba

live rock

Post by lowrider »

ok whos got the best price on live rock ? i will need about 65lb's of it real soon :D ty for any help
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Call Chris, 850-324-2749 in Penscola. Last time I talked to him, he said he had a 1/4 ton of Live Rock, and I am sure its some nice stuff.
BigPumper
Amoeba

Post by BigPumper »

I bought some high quality rock from rich at progressive for 5.00lb...
chrisalmand
Amoeba

Post by chrisalmand »

we have premo live rock for 4/lb.
I do not always grow corals, but when I do, I prefer dos acros.
lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

okok we got 5we got 4 do i here 3 do i 3 going once gowing twice :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
chrisalmand
Amoeba

Post by chrisalmand »

sure, 3/lb if you get 150 lbs.
I do not always grow corals, but when I do, I prefer dos acros.
marinebiologist
Amoeba

Post by marinebiologist »

Progressive has some of the best looking rock i have seen around. Other places that i have seen with the same quality rock are asking $10+ a lbs and selling it as ultra premium show rock
lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

i found some i think im going with them they have Dry Fiji Live Rock (ECO ROX) for $2.79 lbs any body ever deal with them ?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/index.html
BigPumper
Amoeba

Post by BigPumper »

lowrider wrote:i found some i think im going with them they have Dry Fiji Live Rock (ECO ROX) for $2.79 lbs any body ever deal with them ?

Dude, that rock is base rock. It's dry meaning it has NO LIFE ON IT. The whole idea of buying "live rock" is so you get the benefical bacteria you need to start a tank. And you get a lot a critters.
lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

i understand this i ment i was going with about 25 lbs of this and toping off with 40lbs of the good stuff. thats not a bad thing is it ?
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Not a bad thing, its just the way you worded it, made us think you were buying the dead rock for your whole tank. How much rock do you need. Ifs its 150lbs call Chris, he said he would give it to you for $3.00 a lb. He has some nice LR.
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

lowrider wrote:i found some i think im going with them they have Dry Fiji Live Rock (ECO ROX) for $2.79 lbs any body ever deal with them ?

Ecorox are awesome, just make sure you still cure it before using it. Noting wrong with using 100% dead rock, if you cure it right it will have bacterial cultures on it. But you can get Fiji liverock for $2 a lb shipped if you shop around. Check ebay bro.
Last edited by Neuticle on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

$2 a lb is not bad at all. I've never found it that cheap on line but then again I never did E-bay for it. I use to find places that would send trans shipped stuff. It wasn't cured at all and had tons of life on it. You can't find any place local that had any of the life that it had, although there was some bad stuff on it also because it wasn't cured. I've had some sweet tongo stuff with all the colors in the rainbow. The problem is it lost all of it while curing.

So with that said if you can find nice cheap dry base rock I'd go with at least 50% to 75% of that. Thats just me though. It will take some time for it to get some life in it but it can be had for cheaper. Or you can always look around for people who are taking down their tanks. I sold my stuff of at $2.25 a lb I think. The problem is you have to wait for that. If you do go with dry base rock look into getting some live sand from a few different locations to help get different life into the tank.

Here is a site to check out http://www.marcorocks.com
jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

lr

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

When i set up my first tank, I bought my lr off of ebay for $2.17 lb with like $23.00 shipping. When i got it, it was beautiful and within weeks the coralline aglae was looking good. If your not caring what it looks like, go that way but if your looking for certain pieces you just have to look around.
lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

yea wife wants me to buy local so we can see what we getting i guess we r going to buy here in town so we will see :lol: thanx for all the input everyone