sailfish tang and ich

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I didn't say it doesn't occur in the wild I suggested it is not as common in the wild as in our closed systems. Thats the research I read on Ich. Ich isn't the only parasite in the ocean so I'd say its safe to say that if it didn't exist that cleaner shimp and wrasses would still have a lot of work to do out there.

It only seems like sound logic that taking fish that typically don't co-exist with one another and placing them in an enclosed system that you will find a much higher percentage of fish being infected with multiple disease and parasites. So while Ich seems to be insignificant in the wild from the few articles I had once found on it, it becomes a very significant parasite in the captive environment.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

^^ Precisely. No one really said that it was nonexistent--it is just exceedingly rare in many circumstances, especially compared to the levels found in aquaria and holding facilities.

"Previous records from wild fish indicate that natural infections of C. irritans are geographically widespread, but rare."

B.K. Diggles, R.J.G. Lester. Infections of Cryptocaryon irritans on wild fish from southeast Queensland, Australia. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 25: 159-167 1996.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium