How to treat HLLE?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

How to treat HLLE?

Post by Crustman »

I thought I fed my fish a diverse diet but my Coral Beauty and Yellow Tang have this lateral line disease. The Angel has an open crescent above the left eye. The tang is getting better. They get Nori, green agae, New life specturm Ocean Nutrition, Omega One, frozen euphausiids, mysids, herbivore and carnivore cubes. Why is this happening? I use C balance, Magnesisum and Purple up and Sometimes Kalk. Run carbon and GFO and skim heavily. Thanks
redpheonix
Copepod

Re: How to treat HLLE?

Post by redpheonix »

You might want to check for electric current that's leeching into the tank from pumps or maybe an auto top off that uses a relay. A constant electric current in the tank can stress out the fish, might not be enough for you to notice when your hand is in the tank but the fish (especially hyperactive one) will notice it. Might might be a pump, heater, float valve that controls a relay, might have to change one of them out or add a grounding probe. Hope some of this helps. Zack
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
Crustman
Amoeba

Re: How to treat HLLE?

Post by Crustman »

Thanks Zack, I do have one of these grounding probes in the sump. I do not think it is stray voltage. I guess I have to look at water quality issues. Maybe too many toadstools.