Added GSA Kalc stirrer and Green Mandarin

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

Added GSA Kalc stirrer and Green Mandarin

Post by Crustman »

From now on all my topoff water will be kalc. I connected it to my ATO and added a 1 way valve that I got at Progressive. Fish is from the same store.
Crustman
Amoeba

Re: Added GSA Kalc stirrer and Green Mandarin

Post by Crustman »

Lets see your tank life support systems.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Come on, lets see some of your filtration and other equipment. Some of your reefers must have some serious equipment. I did this one on the cheap.
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

You're running ALL your top off through a kalk stirrer? You might want to keep an eye on your pH. Kalk stirrers usually are set a a certain drip rate and run parallel to an existing top off system. If you have a high water usage tank your pH could get really high as saturated Kalk solution has a pH of 12.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Yes, all my replacement water is kalk. My pH meter is broken but I don't think it will be a problem. I plan on refreshing the kalk in the stirrer every 2 weeks. Fish and corals are looking great and this solves calcium and alkalinity problems according to the literature.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I think you are going to have to invest in a larger cabnet to fit all that equipment in, lol.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Now my frogspawn and other corals are growing. I see about 5 new heads on the frogspawn. The calcium must have been too low with the C balance because now my coralline is also growing. Never test the water except for salinity. Sometimes add magnesium and purple up. PH meter is broken but tank alk and calcium balance must be fine. I buy Walmart culligan water for my 10 gallon reservoir.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

recent pic from left side of tank. Birdsnest coral is trying to grow out while covered with zoas. Frogspawn is near middle of tank. Rhodactis mushrooms taking over.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Crustman, if you have the time, can you explain how this Kalc Stirrer works? Someone has suggested to me that instead of paying $$$ for a full blown CA reactor, that I should do the same as you and get a K stirrer and that would suit my needs. I know nothing about how they work, and what you put in them.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

My goodness Tom, is that the frogspawn you got from me? Your tank looks great!
Karen
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Strout, the way that I understand that they work is not the Calcium hydroxide powder that goes into the reactor partially mixes with the RO water (reaching saturation) and is pumped into the tank when the sump level float valve signals the ATO pump to pump more water into the reactor. For my 65 gal tank. 1/2 cup of calcium hydroxide goes into the reactor and this is changed every 2 weeks. There is a stirring bar the keeps the calcium hydroxide moving so that it does not harden. The kalk solution when it reacts with atmospheric C02 forms calcium carbonate. Sometimes I need to stick a little wooden dowel into the output nozil of the reactor because calcium carbonate forms. The calcium carbonate is used to build all the coral skeletons and clam shells. The high pH of the kalk solution pH12 requires that it be added slowly but this is not a problem because the ATO cycles on and off keeping the sump level constant. The Kalk solution also maintains proper alkalinity levels and precipitates phosphate when used for all replacement water. My coralline algae is finally starting to grow with this system. I have never had an easier way to maintain calcium levels. I guess I should check but since all my coral is growing and the frogspawn is a good indicater of water quality, I never bother. I bet 1/2 cup to 1 cup of kalk is added whenever the pump cycles on.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Hi Karen,

I think that coral is from Reefer madness. The front toadstool is the one that I got from you. Your hammer is on the other side of the tank and I have it near the Turbinaria. It is doing great. Thanks again. Did the Rhodactis that I gave you ever grow. One of mine is nearly the size of a dinner plate. I want it to stop growing. The Galaxea coral is the only thing that slows the growth of these.

Tom
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Crustman wrote:Hi Karen,

I think that coral is from Reefer madness. The front toadstool is the one that I got from you. Your hammer is on the other side of the tank and I have it near the Turbinaria. It is doing great. Thanks again. Did the Rhodactis that I gave you ever grow. One of mine is nearly the size of a dinner plate. I want it to stop growing. The Galaxea coral is the only thing that slows the growth of these.

Tom
Rhodactis is doing great, but hasnt produced any babies yet. I wish it would, I just love that coral! Tanks again for it.
Let's see some of your whole tank, I am impressed!
Karen
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Karen, I have about 5 heads for you on the Duncan. The only problem is that all of the new heads are all clustered close together. I will buy a dremmel soon.

Tom