clown fish?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

lowrider
Amoeba

clown fish?

Post by lowrider »

i just noticed one of my clowns on the bottom of my tank thought it was dead but when i went to net him he took off :lol: looks to be ok but my wife said she seen him doing it too they sleep in my xzena so im lost thanx for any help
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: clown fish?

Post by Amphiprion »

How does it look otherwise? Is it still eating and acting normally otherwise? If so, then I wouldn't be too concerned. Mine would lay on their sides at night and look like they were dead.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

Yea he is eating and swimming around fine just late in the day (within 1 hr of lights out) he just lays down on his side in the sand at the front of the tank. Just resting I guess lol

Hey whats the best thing (non chemical) to help rid the tank of glass anemones?
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Depends upon what you are willing to go through to get rid of them. Several fish options are available, all with their own risks and problems. These include several butterflyfishes, including copperbands, etc. There's also the bristletail filefish, which I have. It is slowly picking them off. The filefish is a lot hardier than the butterflies, though, and is reasonably reef safe. There's also peppermint shrimp, which are hit-or-miss in most cases, especially seeing how the wrong species is very commonly imported. Then there is the sure-fire Berghia verrucicornis nudibranch. This one is a bit intensive, since you have to pretty much have a separate tank to alternate the rocks in with the little guys. They don't do well in the main tank with full water flow. The main thing beyond that is to make sure you keep introducing the egg masses in with the rocks to make sure you've got plenty of them to chow down on the Aiptasia. Beyond that, you are pretty much only left with chemical measures, all of which work, but are strictly temporary.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium