Looking for a Used Tank

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

strout
Copepod

Looking for a Used Tank

Post by strout »

I am looking for a used tank that will most likely be impossible to find but I thought I would post this just in case anyone runs across one, stand and canopy would be nice but not a must have, I could build that. I am wanting to set up a Seahorse tank. I want a tank that is 24x24x22 to 25inches tall, this could also be a 30x30x22 to 25, just let me know what you find. I want it to have an overflow of some sort in it as I want to set up a sump with this tank. It would also be nice to have two to three holes drilled in the tank for a closed loop system, I am trying to keep power heads out of the tank, and let the CL move the water around the tank. My LFS here in Biloxi said he could sell me a 20g tank with a HOB skimmer, stand, and lights for around $300 but I really would like a drilled tank with a sump where I could put a skimmer. After I get this tank set up I will watch the water temps for awhile to see what the temp gets up to as I want to keep the water around 70 degrees so I may end up needing to get a chiller for this tank. My reason for telling you about the chiller is because I would like to know your thoughts on what kinda of a chiller I should be looking for on a tank this size. Anyway, if you run across something I might be interested in let me know.
rkelley_10
Amoeba

Re: Looking for a Used Tank

Post by rkelley_10 »

Trying out a temperate climate setup? I'd like to see someone keep a Catalina Goby. As for the chiller, I would go with a 1/10 hp with that water volume. Reefer's Paradise has a 1/10 hp Aqua-Chill for pretty cheap.
12g modded JBJ NC, 5.5g DIY all-in-one pico, 90g corner-flow w/ 30g sump
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Thanks for that info, I will check into that chiller. I want to set up a Seahorse tank, and everything I have read says that I need to keep the water around 70 degrees. I could most likely do that with just some plain lights on the tank, but I want to run T5s for the zoas and polyps that I want to put in the tank, and the T5s might jack up the temp a bit, thats why the chiller.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

What seahorse species are you looking at? There are a few tropical species that won't need a chiller, if you're interested.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

http://www.seahorsesource.com/reidi.html

If the link works, this is the one I was thinking about. but thats not a sure thing yet, I just want to get the tank set up and ready for the seahorses and then go from there. Getting the tank is the hard part. I want to get about 4 horses for the tank.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Weird, the link says Hippocampus erectus, but the actual page is H. reidi. That's a subtropical species, so you'll need to keep temps in the mid to low 70s.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium