My 120g build thread (Picture Heavy)

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

opiy
Amoeba

My 120g build thread (Picture Heavy)

Post by opiy »

I figured I would start a thread showing off my slow progress on getting my reef going. Please feel free to comment or give me some suggestions as I go. I will look into all advice given to me.

Here is the stand. It is 36" tall 48.5x 24.5". I used all coarse thread sheetrock screws, wood glue everywhere boards touched, and painted it with zinser perma-white paint. I do plan to skin it with Birch, but I could change my mind later. This stand is nothing unique but I think it is a easy and a strong way to build a stand. I will build a canopy later on. So far the stand has cost around $200. ($100 of that is in the saw) and I still have to get the Birch and order some cabinet doors. I expect total cost to be around $200 in material and doors. If compared to the stock stands you get with the tank, I would take this one any day but I could be biased.

This is what $88 of material looks like and I had to get more later :shock:

Where it began, the base or frame.

Half way there

This is how the legs look incase you are curious. The weight of the legs is carried by the outside small 2x4s that sit on top of the bottom frame.

I had to pick this guy up just to cut my plywood :cry: That sucked because less $$ from the build. If you buy Ridgid make sure you save the UPC on the box so you can mail it in for the Lifetime Warranty. I didn't on two tools :censored: :censored:

I caulked all of the joints to hopefully make this thing water tight. I know its a terrible job at caulking.

Almost finished. I have to finish up the paint and might do a second coat tomorrow.

I haven't cut out the holes for the overflows yet because I don't have the exact measurements.

I hope to order the tank from B&B on the 12th.

I can't decide what I want to do as far as the sump goes. I was considering a 30g Breeder tank and getting the internal Super Reef Octopus XP-2000 Cone Skimmer. The sump I will likely make a refugium.
Here is the list I posted before but with the latest changes. This should give you an idea I think.

ReefKeeper Elite NET System V2
Lumen Bright Pendent 250W DE x2
Vortech MP40w x2
Super Reef Octopus XP-2000 Skimmer
IceCap 250 watt Electronic Ballast
TYPHOON III 75gpd
Reeflux Metal Halide DE 250W x2
Reef Crystals Salt

I plan to get Dryrocks instead of liverock. Bulk Reef Supply sells some for a good price (I Think) and I will see if this helps to keep pests down from the start. I will quarantine everything I can. I will go with SPS and LPS this time over the softies. I like the softies but I guess since I am trying to do things all different than my first attempt some years ago I will try the stony corals and see how it works out. That is it for now, I have to go finish painting the stand and try to figure out a plan to skin this thing.

Has anyone ordered cabinet doors online? If so who and did you like what you got?
Larry
My build thread http://tiny.cc/JYzXJ
Slowly building up my equpiment.
Rule of Coral Shopping: If you don't buy it when your see it, it will not be there when you come back.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: My 120g build thread (Picture Heavy)

Post by Fishfood »

you may want to check this place for dry rock

http://www.marcorocks.com/
pheonixsoul25
Amoeba

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

I like the staand so far so good keep the pics coming !!!! 8)
100 gallon mixed reef
biggraham
Amoeba

Post by biggraham »

pheonixsoul25 wrote:I like the staand so far so good keep the pics coming !!!! 8)
pheonixsoul. How do U post pictures?
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Looking good. That reminds me of my first 55 gallon stand, it should hold up just about anything.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
opiy
Amoeba

Post by opiy »

Thanks for the compliments :D I will finish painting the stand tomorrow with the second coat and I will post one more pic.

I have a question though. What should I use to paint the back of the tank? I used Krylon Fusion and it seemed to do OK but it did start to flake off before I even got water in the tank. Is the Fusion still my best bet or is there something else out there?
Larry
Rule of Coral Shopping: If you don't buy it when your see it, it will not be there when you come back.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I have always liked the look of the Rustoleum Metallic Blue spray paint.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
pheonixsoul25
Amoeba

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

haha 99 cent black spray cans from wlly world :lol:
100 gallon mixed reef
opiy
Amoeba

Post by opiy »

Now all I need to do it get the tank so I can cut the holes for the overflow. When I was getting ready to put on the second coat I thought of a great idea, use a roller! I painted that whole thing last night with a 3" brush and it took a long time. The roller made quick work of it. Oh well maybe if I build another stand I will remember and learn from this go around.

I installed this this GFCI to hopefully keep me from getting shocked as many times :D I didn't think we needed a huge pic of a plug so here is a thumb.

I added up what I have in the stand so far and it comes to $116.46. I will still have to buy the doors and Birch wood to skin it.
Larry
dun2run
Amoeba

Post by dun2run »

Definitely go with the Marco dry rock. That stuff is awesome.