Setting up a 75 Gallon Reef Tank

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

AgeDynasty
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Setting up a 75 Gallon Reef Tank

Post by AgeDynasty »

I need to know what yall think of my setup I am going with.

75 Gallon AGA
6 HO T5 System
Coral life Protien Skimmer

What other equipment do I need? I am not sure if I need a Sump I have done some research and found that all you really need is a good skimmer and not a sump. Simply due to the fact that the Live Rock will act as you Biological Filter. Please feel free to Bleed all over my post, I am just looking for advice, I don't want jump in full fledge until I know exactly what I need.

Thanks
150 Gallon Mixed Reef
75 Gallon Mixed Reef
40 Gallon Frag System
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: Setting up a 75 Gallon Reef Tank

Post by Fishfood »

I have seen an awsome tank without a sump, but the guy also had a good skimmer. I personally don't think a coral life skimmer will cut it. If you want to go sumpless check out what Tunze has for in tank skimmers. I forget the model the guy had but he had a real nice SPS tank without a sump. One other thing on skimmers is a lot of them are made to be in sump, or pump fed(or even direct feed from the overflow). Having the skimmer hang on the back limits your options, and can create an eye-sore in the tank with extra pumps and stuff. One thing that makes a sump nice is it allows you a place for extra water. I run my top-off right into the sump. The guy I mentioned before had a tunze ozmolator(sp?) for his topoff right into the tank. I'd probably go that route even if i was topping off into the sump.

I can't comment on the lights right now either without knowing specifics on the setup. Individual reflectors vs 1 solid reflector and bulbs.
strout
Copepod

Re: Setting up a 75 Gallon Reef Tank

Post by strout »

I have a Coral Life Skimmer and I will soon be replacing it with a better skimmer. Is it a bad skimmer, I don't really know because its the only skimmer I have ever had but, people in this hobby that I respect all tell me that it isn't a very good skimmer, no one has ever told me its a good skimmer. So, my advice to you is to get a better skimmer if you can, if not its better than no skimmer at all. This is JMO here, I feel that alot of LFS sell Coral Life Skimmers because people that come into their stores and buy compleate set ups, might change their minds if they has to put out a few more C notes to get a better skimmer. So the LFS try to keep the bottom line down a bit buy selling a cheaper skimmer. Nothing wrong with that, I am sure alot of people do what I am fixing to do, upgrade. When you start wanting to keep your Nitrates down, a good skimmer is a must.