Blue Velvet Slug

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

Babyreef
Amoeba

Blue Velvet Slug

Post by Babyreef »

I have a Blue Velvet Slug that has done its job in my tank and its time to find if there is any interest locally.
I would like to either sell him (i got him 65 shipped) or lend him out to other reefers needing to kick flatworms.
Maybe even keep him locally going from tank to tank cleaning house.
Please send me a message if you are interested in getting him. Again not too sure how i want to do this yet as I may need another one in the future.
Thank you
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productD ... 211&cid=83
Babyreef
Amoeba

Re: Blue Velvet Slug

Post by Babyreef »

Still looking for a taker. This guy eliminates the flatworms very fast.
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

Progressive might want him, they had an army of flatworms last time I went, may have fixed it by now though.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
ladyofthedeep
Amoeba

Post by ladyofthedeep »

Are flatworms and bristle worms the same thing? If so I need him .
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

ladyofthedeep wrote:Are flatworms and bristle worms the same thing? If so I need him .
Here's a couple examples of what a flatworm looks like:

Babyreef
Amoeba

Post by Babyreef »

Pic on the left of this site is what he eats.
http://www.melevsreef.com/id/flatworm.html
ladyofthedeep
Amoeba

Post by ladyofthedeep »

My reef tank doesn't have flat worms. Thanks for the pics. Any ideas on decreasing my bristle worm population?
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

One of the more serious wrasses will do the trick, most aren't reef-safe though.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

You can use arrow crabs to take care of bristle worms or you can get a bristle worm trap. They actually arent a problem they eat detritus, but they can be a pain if you pick something in your tank up, its like filling your fingers with fiber glass.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Uh oh, I didn't think I had flatworms but after seeing the photo I just might. I have brown spots on my green finger leather that look just like the brown spots on the second photo. I will take a closer look when I get home.
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Brian wrote:Uh oh, I didn't think I had flatworms but after seeing the photo I just might. I have brown spots on my green finger leather that look just like the brown spots on the second photo. I will take a closer look when I get home.
If you can get the coral out easily, you can do a quick (1 min) FW dip to determine if you've got flatworms or not. Just temp & pH adjust a bowl or bucket of RO water. The flatworms will jump off the coral pretty quick.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

AuroraDrvr wrote:
Brian wrote:Uh oh, I didn't think I had flatworms but after seeing the photo I just might. I have brown spots on my green finger leather that look just like the brown spots on the second photo. I will take a closer look when I get home.
If you can get the coral out easily, you can do a quick (1 min) FW dip to determine if you've got flatworms or not. Just temp & pH adjust a bowl or bucket of RO water. The flatworms will jump off the coral pretty quick.
I can defintely get one of the rocks out easily and try that. If I determine that is what they are then it may be more difficult to get the rest of it out. I am going to try that on one of the smaller pieces and see what happens. If it is flatworms then I will check the entire tank and see if I notice more of them. If not then I will just dip the rest of the green leather and monitor the tank. Thanks for the info.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote:
AuroraDrvr wrote:
I can defintely get one of the rocks out easily and try that. If I determine that is what they are then it may be more difficult to get the rest of it out. I am going to try that on one of the smaller pieces and see what happens. If it is flatworms then I will check the entire tank and see if I notice more of them. If not then I will just dip the rest of the green leather and monitor the tank. Thanks for the info.
I dipped the green finger leather and within 5 seconds they started falling off. After after 15 seconds they were all gone. I dipped the other pieces of finger leather, and multiple other corals that ended up having them on them. There were some mushrooms that were covered. I now have a bucket of red water with HUNDREDS of them in the bottom. Thanks for the info. I am guessing there may be more but I can not see them. As far as dipping though, the rest of the corals would not be able to be removed if I see them on them.
Babyreef
Amoeba

Post by Babyreef »

If you would like to try out the slug hit me up. He will take care of them without having to use chemicals.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the offer. I am not planning on using chemicals to resolve the issue. My only concern with the slug is that I am not sure at this time how many more are in the tank so I would worry that it would not have a significant enough food source. I really don't think I got all of them with the dips yesterday but I have not seen any more on any of the corals as of this time.