looking for a pistol

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

SaltnLime
Chromis

looking for a pistol

Post by SaltnLime »

Looking for a really good deal on a pistol. Prefferably larger than 9 mm. No "Saturday night specials" or "one shot wonders" either. :P

We have 2 cats, a dog, two boys , my wife and me....I am currently under the Alabama "guns per resident" average. I think they can banish you from the state if you fall under the " guns per pickup truck " quota. :P

"Proud member of the NRA........

" Never Run Again" Club. :shock:
Last edited by SaltnLime on Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Are you looking for a rifle or a pistol?
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Brandon wrote:Are you looking for a rifle or a pistol?
oops..changed the thread name. Sorry. Pistol. :oops:
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I you want one just for target shooting and cost about the same as a .22 cal to shoot you might look at getting a 45 black powder revolver like the kind in the Outlaw Josey Wales. I've got two of them and they are really fun to shoot and are a lot cheaper to shoot that regular pistals. And best of all the pistol cost around $100. The only down side is that you have to clean them every time you shoot them. I just take the wooden grip of the gun and put them in a big pan with a little soap and water and bring to a boil then rinse them off in the sink with hot water. One more thing you don't have to get a background check and you can mail order them because they are not considered regular pistols. I shoot them more that I do my regular pistal because of the cost of bullets.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I can bring one this weekend for you to look at ( unloaded of coarse) if you are interested.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

If you train that dog right maybe you want need the pistol :roll:
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
JPerkins
Amoeba

Post by JPerkins »

I have a sig sauer 40 cal. Its an awesome gun. Plenty of stopping power and if the bullet doesn't hit them, the flame leaping out of the barrel will scare them off. :twisted:

Ammo isn't cheap though. I paid around $550 for it new, with an extra handle and carrying case. Its the kind the fbi and dea use.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I've got a Berrita 9mm that I haven't even shot yet. I guess I need to get some ammo and try it out. I just haven't had time to play with it.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Snakeman wrote:I you want one just for target shooting and cost about the same as a .22 cal to shoot you might look at getting a 45 black powder revolver like the kind in the Outlaw Josey Wales. I've got two of them and they are really fun to shoot and are a lot cheaper to shoot that regular pistals. And best of all the pistol cost around $100. The only down side is that you have to clean them every time you shoot them. I just take the wooden grip of the gun and put them in a big pan with a little soap and water and bring to a boil then rinse them off in the sink with hot water. One more thing you don't have to get a background check and you can mail order them because they are not considered regular pistols. I shoot them more that I do my regular pistal because of the cost of bullets.
I didn't quite know what kind of pistol you were talking about, so had a co-worker gun-freak explain it to me... neat stuff! Especially about the loading lever thingy that packs the bullet/charge in, I had always seen those in old westerns and didn't know what they were for. I see why you have to clean/oil it every time after you use it, since the old-style flash gunpowder will eat up the metal otherwise.
-Josh Murrah
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

The first one I got was just regular steel and the black powder would would do a number on it even after I would clean it. To solve this problem I got a stainless steel one that is no problem to keep clean. In the old western they don't ever show them having to load one. The best thing to do is to have some extra cylinder loaded up so you can just change them out so you don't have to reload after 6 shots. They make a cool smoke screen after each shot too. That's so the enemy can see you. The bad thing is you have to duck down under the smoke to see if you hit what you where aiming at.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I have a Colt .45 MK IV Gold Cup National Match, Ruger .22 and a Rossi 38 special. I have owned a few cheaper pistols, a Springfield Armory .45 1911, and am going to get a Browning Hi-Power 9mm. I think the Gold Cup is the best pistol I have ever owned but the price reflects this. My brother-in-law was a match shooter and really liked the 1911 style .45 caliber pistols (his was worth about $1500) and the Hi-Power. My Rossi (it is really my wife's)38 special is a good gun for people who are not that familiar with pistols and is relatively inexpensive. If you are not going to be using it much go for the stainless or Parkerized. And remember that you get what you pay for and all guns should be considered loaded.

Let me know if you want to come and look at mine or if you need any information
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

got a government addition colt .45 from my dad when he was in the military..shoots like a dream, and also a ruger p-90.. great gun...
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

The larger Ruger pistols are ok the grips are pretty large though. Just don't get the P-86 (9mm I think). My Gold Cup is like the military issue 1911 style .45, just has a few modifications.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

Maybe we should have a gun, knife ,and reef meeting. :shock:
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

can't help you on the pistol thing, I'm more of a knife man, more personal that way ;)

so just to add something,

I have a WWII chineese bayonet, pretyy slick self sharping, etc...

and a pre-war German made hunting/skinning blade. Real nice with the horn handle. The kind that straps to your boot.
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"