buying a tank from the paper

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

cnovak
Amoeba

buying a tank from the paper

Post by cnovak »

Is it too risky to buy a used tank? i was looking in the recent Shopper and saw some local deals on a few tanks w/stand and hoods. Was just wondering if anyone has ever bought one like this from a complete stranger and if it was a good/bad experience. i'm looking to try my luck with something between 1-200gl after the first of the year once i move. Would acrylic be better w/something in that range? i just know they scratch so easy. Thanks alot.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Most people I know prefer glass, but they can get scratched too. I have never bought a new tank and have never had a problem. Just take a good look at the silicone and make sure that the top trim is sealed good. Looking for scratches is easy if there is water and lights on the tank. You can use a flashlight if the tank is empty. It is best to get the tank and the stand that it was on. I have heard stories of people buying used tanks and then getting a new stand and the tank will start leaking because it settles diffrently.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I agree with Scott, I have had very good luck with used aquariums; go for it!
-Josh Murrah
cnovak
Amoeba

Post by cnovak »

Thanks for the replies.
Dgpuffer
Amoeba

Used

Post by Dgpuffer »

All of my tanks have came from ads in the paper and I have recieved some real good deal just look at them first and find out some info on the owners and good luck!