Air bubbles cont.

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

cnovak
Amoeba

Air bubbles cont.

Post by cnovak »

OK just getting back on my emperor 280 problems i had last month. Well i took a small piece of plexiglass and attached to the spray bar so the water would run down smoothly. Then on the outflow into the tank i attached another piece to angle down into the tank. i used fiberglass and sanded smooth, haven't had any problems since. Thanks again to everyone for suggestions. The only problem now is i'm getting tired of seeing things hanging off the back of the tank so i might just take it off completely..LOL
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

glad all the ideas payed off for you.

As for your dislike off all the stuff in your tank, I think that's a reason why sumps/refuges are nice. You can have a mximum of objects, with a minimum of them in the main tank.

I for one have all my equipment in the main tank and it really doesn't bother me at all. It's more of a personsal descision.

IMO leave it all for 6 months and see if you forget it's there.
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
cnovak
Amoeba

Post by cnovak »

The main thing i dislike is how far down the intake tube hangs but i guess i could always cut it. i'd like to have that space for another big rock or something. As with a sump, i'm definitely going with one on any other tanks i try in the future. Just don't see the point of trying to use one w/the 29gl now. Then again i guess i could always glue some green star to the intake tube to give it character.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

We are talking about cutting the intake tube on Devon's Nano.. It is picking up the sand when the Pistol Shrimp redecorates hence the tank stays cloudy...
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Does the Emporer have one of those 2 chambered return where the intake is in the middle or is it to one side?

You could cut a piece of pvc in half and slap it to the back wall covering up the uptake tube. Then stick on some gsp's etc to make it blend in.

Same to you Amy. It would create and overflow thus keeping the stirred up sand from entering the HOB.
cnovak
Amoeba

Post by cnovak »

Mine comes out from one side. i never thought of using pvc! i was just gonna glue some polyps to the tube. But then again never thought about em getting sucked in. Have you tried this? How far should you extend the pvc to make sure the polyps didn't get sucked in? Sounds like a good idea to me, thanks.
harbingerofthefish
Copepod

If you can I would cut a piece so that it goes all the way down into the sand and up to the water line. Cut some slits in the top so the water can flow in. If you glue polyps to it you can just razor blade them off it when they get too close to the top.

I don't know what kind of fish you have, but a lid of some sort might be a good idea, for snails too while I'm at it.

and of course no I haven't tried it, But if my 20 EVER gets going, I'm planning on doing something similar to hide unwanted mess (heater, hob uptake, etc)

you can be my guinea pig ;)
cnovak
Amoeba

Post by cnovak »

thanks i'll be the test subject... LOL.