Fiji banned from exporting selected coral/fish imports

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

ShagMan
Goby

Fiji banned from exporting selected coral/fish imports

Post by ShagMan »

In case you have been living in a dark cave, doing nothing but staring at your reef tank :)

http://www.cites.org/eng/news/sundry/fi ... wed2.shtml
Therefore the recommendation of the Conference of the Parties that all Parties refuse any import from and export or re-export to Fiji of specimens of CITES-listed species is renewed from 31 October 2003 until further notice.
I found that the following species are for sure covered by this ban: Sturgeons, Pipefishes, seahorses, Sea cucumbers, Queen conch, Blue corals, Organ-pipe corals, Black corals, Stony corals, Fire corals, Lace corals... I don't see any mention of liverock however.

I also read that Queen Conchs can't be imported any more from anywhere :( :( :( Deanna and I really wanted to get two for the 240G too.

http://www.cites.org/eng/news/sundry/qu ... 0930.shtml
-Josh Murrah
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

You can get some queen conchs at Reefscapes over here in pensacola. They had about 10 I think this past saturday. There were small little buggers though.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

were they queens or fighting? Well either way, we'll need to make a trip and get some... the surface of our last sandbed went to crap when the conchs died... are you making a delivery run to Mobile any day soon?
-Josh Murrah
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

UPDATE: I've been following a thread on RC, and looks like NOTHING will be coming out of Fiji for a few months at least... read here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... did=264309
-Josh Murrah
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Aquaworks has fighting conchs in and reefscapes has queen conchs in. I actually work in Daphne. I could pick some up on wed or thursday for you. reefscapes is only open wed, thur, fri, sat. If you want you could meet me somewhere in daphne during the day.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

we have queen conch at work for sale, but looks like im going to be buying them tomorrow :D
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Can you aquire more Mike? What do they go for at Waggy's?
-Josh Murrah
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

depends on if we can get them anymore, they usually run 18 each
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

$18, wow, how big are they. Fighting conchs at aquaworks are about $10 and I think the queens are reefscapes are about $10 or $12. I'm not sure about that though.
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

Pardon me....but I thought most queens were aquacultured these days!

I will miss the Fiji stuff, but I agree that we don't need to deplete the resources either!

Elizabeth
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Yeah those damn Figians. :twisted: They are not suppose to export thier own products...they are suppose to use imported goods from us to make NEW stuff to export back to us..... :twisted: :D Leave it to an Island to screw up the system. :lol:
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

The Queens are aquacultured. You can get them on Saltwaterfish.com and there is a guy who works at an aquaculture facility down in the keys that is selling them. I've seen his web site linked to his name on RC.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Good info! I didn't know they were aquacultured.... phew... worried me for a moment :)
-Josh Murrah
markm
Amoeba

Post by markm »

Hey guys... just thought i'd throw in some experience here.. I've had conch's before... a much better & cheaper alternative is cerith snails... They clean alot better, are more mobile, lay eggs more frequent, and the best thing is during the day, they burrow through the top 1"-2" layer of sand everywhere to hide... I've never had a dirty sand bed ever since i've gotten 'em.

Try a couple out.. you can find 'em as cheap as $1 a piece.

-Mark
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I have probably 100 of them in my tank. I took out the sand bed so i hope they still like the tank. I'm sure they will stay on my live rock. They have up to this point. At night when i look in the tank i see them almost covering all the glass.