very sad news

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

very sad news

Post by reeferpuffer »

as some of you may know that leslie and i picked up a dog off the streets and mikes mom and dad was keeping him at their house....well things are not working out the way that we want ane we have to find him a new home. his name is gage and he is about 9 months old he is fixed and has had all shots,heartworm tested negative. he is so SWEET and is excelent with kids big and small,loves to be around you and is not hyper AT ALL. what he needs is a fenced in back yard, so if you or anyone you know needs a great kick ass dog give mike and leslie a call!!!!

CELL# 599-0625
Attachments
gage.jpg
gage.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
finaddict
Amoeba

Post by finaddict »

Man I wish I could help, but have a Great dane that I'm going to probably have to get rid of soon. She is just to big and energitic for me and my wife to handle. I try and keep an I eye out for someone interested in a great dog. Hopefully someone will take him off your hands. Everyone else keep your ears open for someone looking for a Great dane thats nine months old. Blue merle in color.

Jeff
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

You can always try to ask Dave Sidelle at Theodore Vet Clinic, i am pretty good friends with him and might lend a hand.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Awwwwwwh, he was sooo sweet too.
-Josh Murrah
trick0330
Amoeba

Post by trick0330 »

well it seems that mikes mon and dad have seen the light and are keeping gage thanks for all the support!!!! :D
plkdb
Amoeba

Post by plkdb »

finaddict:
Now, I dont know you from a hole in the while, but I think its disgusting that your going to get rid of your great dane because its too big and energetic. What did you think was going to happen to a great dane?? We`ve got a neighbor thats the same way, they are on their third dog, because the first one "didnt like the wife" aka it wasnt a lap dog, dog two was two big and wil, dog three was too much work. Now these people dont spend anytime with their animals, and have no clue what training is. Maybe you do spend time with your dog, and maybe you have trained it, but obviously you didnt do the research. If we were talking about a tank, you`d do the research to find what goes together, and what things you need, etc. Sorry to vent, I just cant stand situations like this.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

plkdb wrote:finaddict:
Now, I dont know you from a hole in the while, but I think its disgusting that your going to get rid of your great dane because its too big and energetic. What did you think was going to happen to a great dane?? We`ve got a neighbor thats the same way, they are on their third dog, because the first one "didnt like the wife" aka it wasnt a lap dog, dog two was two big and wil, dog three was too much work. Now these people dont spend anytime with their animals, and have no clue what training is. Maybe you do spend time with your dog, and maybe you have trained it, but obviously you didnt do the research. If we were talking about a tank, you`d do the research to find what goes together, and what things you need, etc. Sorry to vent, I just cant stand situations like this.
That post was way last year!
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Plkbd,
All the research in the world won't prepare you for all situations. I have a Weimariner that I researched before I got it. They were supposed to be kind of like labs so they would be real hyper for a couple of years and then calm down and would probably be 60-70 pounds. The puppy that I picked out was one of the smaller ones in the litter and the sire was 75 pounds and it's mom was about 70 lbs. My dog was 97 pounds last time at the vet, he is 6 years old and still carries around landscape timbers and 8 foot 2x4's around the yard. Has been trained by Barbara Ray two consecutive rounds of classes and will still lay down when I say sit. I also worked with him hours on end trying to train him to retrieve and point which is pretty intensive. He is a great dog, but in no way does his actions even remotely resemble the way he is "supposed" to act. Also, if you do research on soft corals you will find that they are "easy" to keep and we all know that is not true. So you don't always get what you think you are no matter how much research or planning you do. I am not taking sides but just pointing out that I have experienced that research is not always correct and people make mistakes. I think your neighbors are not doing the correct thing, but I don't know them either.

JMO,
Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I had an English Setter that was the dumbest animal I have ever owned. Now from history a setter is supposed to be a very trainable dog, this one missed that mark. The dog never stopped moving and only slept for short periods of time, the rest of the day she ran in circles trying to find something to track down. She literally destroyed the entire back yard in less than six months and was a total terror.
We have had animals that worked out well and some that just did not. Pets are a great responsiblity and will not take one now unless I know that we will have it for life. I currently have a VERY old Collie that probably should be put down but will not do it. Me and Amy have discussed on multiple occasions what to do that is humane for the old girl because she obviously does not have much a dogs life anymore. She basically barks at the fence and circles the yard all day long.
I know that we will never have an outside dog anymore because of the small amounts of time most people spend with an outside dog and that includes us. The discussion of an inside dog has been brought up many times but I am still swinging against it for many reasons.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
plkdb
Amoeba

Post by plkdb »

I understand every situation is going to be different, but one of two complaints made against this dog is its size, the other its energy level. Two things this breed is known for. Being BIG, and being an active dog. Its one thing, when its a personality trait being a problem with a dog, such as it being overly agressive, its another, when its a case of oh we thought he was so cute as a puppy, we didnt know he was going to get this big. I grew up with 3 Newfoundlands, and 1 golden retriever. 3 of the four dogs have been rescue animals, one we had to have put down because of agressiveness, one died from a botched surgery to have her fixed by our vet, we didnt have a autopsy, but my guess is she died of internal bleeding or over anesthetizing, the third died of old age, and the fourth is still with us. We didnt always have the biggest house, but that didnt mean that we couldnt give the dog the lifestyle it deserved.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Our Lab is 12 and hasn't slowed down YET! She had three of her breast removed about a month ago, and last week had her spleen removed due to cancer. She was up and out to go pee 3 hours after the surgery, with a 9-inch incision. She has cancer on her kidney, and went for her first chemo treatment Wednesday, and it didnt even phase her. She's a pretty amazing dog, and hope she can stick around for a good long while.
finaddict
Amoeba

Post by finaddict »

plkdb wrote:I understand every situation is going to be different, but one of two complaints made against this dog is its size, the other its energy level. Two things this breed is known for. Being BIG, and being an active dog. Its one thing, when its a personality trait being a problem with a dog, such as it being overly agressive, its another, when its a case of oh we thought he was so cute as a puppy, we didnt know he was going to get this big. I grew up with 3 Newfoundlands, and 1 golden retriever. 3 of the four dogs have been rescue animals, one we had to have put down because of agressiveness, one died from a botched surgery to have her fixed by our vet, we didnt have a autopsy, but my guess is she died of internal bleeding or over anesthetizing, the third died of old age, and the fourth is still with us. We didnt always have the biggest house, but that didnt mean that we couldnt give the dog the lifestyle it deserved.

I know you were just trying to vent, but that still doesn't give you the right to point out things about my particular situation. I have seen numerous things posted on this forum that I didn't like that was said, but did I speak out. NO! Thats not the thing to do. I'm not trying to be a prick, but come on. I love my dog very much, and If I thought for one minute that I couldn't keep her I wouldn't have gotten her. Before you vent next time why don't you Personal email me and get the whole story, before you try to lecture someone on how to be a responsible pet owner. Oh yeah I decided to keep my dane after all. Thanks alot
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Why can't somebody have a six month old lab or mastiff that they can't keep? My luck sucks... although, I guess I can't really say that, I got a WONDERFUL kitty from Liz, a month ago... beautiful cat!
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Mastiff, now that is a dog ! Of course they eat the same amount of food as a small horse. Actually they are a small horse.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

finaddict:
I feel like a real shit heel now. I wanted to give my kids away twice this week! :D :shock:

They start out so small and sweet smelling....and then they grow and destroy your house and we don't even wanna discuss potty training issues. Pound for pound they make any dog look like a saint.

I guess were gunna keep 'em though. What is the size limit on these kids, and minimum space needed to keep two? If they grow to big, is it more humane to set em free back into the wild....like my Vlamingi tang? :wink:
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "