Tank Update

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

strout
Copepod

Tank Update

Post by strout »

Got the new skimmer installed yesterday, Octopus Extreme 200, glad the wife dosn't ever look under the tank :lol: . Its strating to put out a bit of of the brown stuff :shock: but I think I need to take the filter sock out of the sump and see what it can really do. I am glad I had some SW mixed up, that thing really holds alot of water compaired to the old skimmer. The gfo/ carbon reactors are doing their job and the refugium is doing good also. The Cheato dosn't seem to be growing yet but its still green so I guess thats a good sign. Ordered a duel doser yesterday for the 2 part and will get that hooked up when it comes in. Next up on the list will be a controller of some sort. I will have to find a smart person to help me get that set up I think :lol: . I wanted to get a bigger skimmer for the new tank that I want. but I changed my mind. I am just going to set the 125 up with SPS corals and see how I can do with that. If everything goes good I can upgrade to the larger tank down the road,if not I will just keep what I have.
strout
Copepod

Re: Tank Update

Post by strout »

I ment to ask a question here also. Since I have a two part doser coming, do I really need a Klak reactor also? I don't mind spending the money if I need one, I just don't want to be wasting money that I could use on something else.
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

No, if you're doing two-part, you don't want to dose kalk too. You'll likely end up with your dkH pinned at 12 and corals that burn easily.

I uh... never did that...

lols
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

You can dose both, but it depends on demand. On my old 75, I was dosing both. I used kalkwasser for most of the ca/alk supplmentation, but since it couldn't keep up by itself, even with a lot of evaporation, I used 2 part. I didn't use much--15-20 ml of the homemade recipe #2, which is half strength. It maintained my alkalinity at around 9.5-10.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Thanks for the advice.