Aragocrete making class. Anyone interested?

Break out the ducktape !

Moderator: snoopdog

Interested in an Aragocrete making class?

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 8

DAMIAN
Amoeba

Aragocrete making class. Anyone interested?

Post by DAMIAN »

How many people would be interested in an Aragocrete Rock making class? Maybe at a local petstore or a good central location. We would supply all the materials needed for the class including boxes, aragocrete mix, etc.......
If we get enough interested, then well continue with setting up a suitable location.
http://www.h2oasis.org
Last edited by DAMIAN on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrandBayReef
Amoeba

Post by GrandBayReef »

I have a location we could use in Grand Bay that will be free
GrandBayReef
Amoeba

Post by GrandBayReef »

How many do we need to get this thing going. This really intrest me
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

this thread is 2 yrs old.
jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

aragocrete

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

It may be but maybe we can find someone that knows how to make it because there is people out there that want to learn. I'm definitely up for it and if we have to find somewhere on the internet on how to do it then maybe we can get together and try to make some and see how it comes out.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

then you guys might want to check out this site. http://www.panhandlereefers.com/
Some folks in pensacola/ft. walton recently got together and made some. They have a much more active forum and get together on a regular basis. Just search the forums and they have a post about making some rock.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I am not seeing there forum being more active. The post count and the amount of time between post, it is slower than my board.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I guess it depends what you are looking at for being active.

-Quarterly Meetings that are too large to hold at someones home anymore.

-All sections of the forum have current posts.. within a few days, except for some of the larger sponsors.

-LFS owners posting updates on a regular basis.

-locals who have frags for sale/trade.

-larger range of topics being discussed.

-people getting together outside of the quarterly meetings to do DIY projects that include sumps/Kalk Reactors/Live Rock, etc.

-Holiday raffles

Basically they are now at where this group was when it first set up so many yrs ago, execpt they took it a little farther. I'm not a paying member because I moved from pensacole over to mobile. Just puts me too far away from all of them to want to be a paying member.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

They may be more active outside of the forum, but I just do not see the forum being that active. That is me though.

Yeah there club is new and we were probably way more active in the beginning than they are now. At one point we had monthly meetings, field trips, drinking parties, etc. What happened to us is the same thing that probably will happen to them though. One is that the meetings and parties got out of hand. We do not take dues, so we have no money and meetings were always at members houses, quite often mine. It would cost me $100-$200 per meeting for supplies. People would not respect the persons house and normally the house got trashed. The very last meeting at my house was a disaster and it took me several hours to get the stains out of my carpet. One person dropped an entire strawberry drink on my carpet which is white. People tore up my front yard by driving through it when they left that night, you see were I am going with this.

Then you got into "I brought a bunch of frags and somebody took most of them but did bring anything to exchange.". I got quite a few complaints about members just showing up to eat and not bringing food. You see how this can get out of hand right ? I have teenagers now and one with a mental health issue so my time is extremely limited and I can barely keep the board going but I will since I was designated to do just that back when the club started. If someone wants to spark something and perk the club back up, well then I wish they would, I would make them a moderator and they can carry the torch for a while but with work and teenagers it will be quite a while before I will have the time. I am by no means giving up and will return to the hobby full-time when the kids leave the house, which one is leaving soon.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I'm just saying its different snoop. I know what happened here. I was one of the first few on this message board. Granted I didn't get to any meetings since they were all over in Mobile and I was in pensacola at the time but I've been here and seen it all.

There is a big difference in what they have going on right now. The dues go towards the club membership in MACNA or whatever it is and their quarterly meetings. They have sponsors who donate items for club meetings. The meetings are held either at the Gulfarium or they rent out a room somewhere. They have flyers at LFS to get people to the sites, and they have numerous club discounts from online stores. I have a feeling that they will maintain what they have because of the organization they have.

As for the activity on the forums. I go to both on a daily basis and there is always something new on theirs. I did mean that they as a whole are more active as an area club in my first post. But I also feel that the message board is more active. For example I posted in the trade thread here about an acan frag I had and asked what other folks in the area had for trade or sale. I had 2 people respond. The first was Dirk who also posts on the panhandle forum and the second was someone from Bay St.Louis. Thats farther than Pensacola. I was looking for locals who were interested in selling or trading stuff. I didn't get any other response. Had I put that on the panhandle board I would have had about 5 to 10 people post within 1 day. I just don't want to have to deal with going over to pensacola at this time to get frags and thought some people here in town would have things. Now I've been to busy to get with Dirk but I eventually will and the guy from Mississippi and I plan on trading down the road.

I'm not knocking the board at all but was just pointing out to someone who posts here that there is a very active group in P'cola to Tally who have recently done what he was asking to do.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Understood.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
DAMIAN
Amoeba

Re: Aragocrete making class. Anyone interested?

Post by DAMIAN »

After not seeing any replies to this for a while, I hadnt been back around then got sent to Saudi for a while. We're back and in full swing but the new site is www.h2oasis.org for the aragocrete now. Im still up for doing some classes if anyones interested in starting up a group or know of several that are intersted. Just use the contact link over at www.h2oasis.org

Bill