Progress of my new nano

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Aquariareview
Amoeba

Progress of my new nano

Post by Aquariareview »

This is the new nano cube in my office.

9.7 gal
10lbs of semi cured live rock
1 inch of live sand from my big reef tank

I took out all of the foam and junk in the filter chambers.
I placed one bag each of Chemi-Pure* charcoal resin blend, Sea-Chem Purigen* and 1 sheet of polyfilter in the chamber with the pump.
I do a 2 gal a week water change. but during the break in period I did a 5 gal a week change

Day 1
I hung a prizm skimmer on the front glass to help the rock cure a little quicker.

Day 10
I added:
An unknown red Macroalgae.
1 more inch of live sand
3 red leg hermits

Day 17
Took off the skimmer
I have added:
A Firefish
2 Shaving Brush Plants (Penicillus sp.)
I took a couple of small pieces of rock to put in my reef and get some Zos moved onto.

I made a 8 inch wide cut in the back of the hood so I could hang a sea clear 100 skimmer.

5 Weeks

8 Weeks
I added some Zoos, Star Polyps, pulsing Xenia, Feather Duster And a Hairy Mushroom. I removed the firefish and put in a watchman and a pistol shrimp.

4 Months

6 Months
I added a blastamosa, a few mushrooms and a small monti frag (a test). also added a algea blenny that keeps the rock very clean.

All Is well. this has turned out to be a showy little tank.

My kudos to JBJ for making this little tank available.

*Chemi-Pure, A Carbon- Resin blend. The resin produces negatively charged ions, while removing excess acids and ammonia. The carbon is designed to absorb contaminants up to 50% of its total weight. In a tank this small it will remain active for 4-6 months. about $6 LFS.

Poly-Filter is a chem filter pad that does a pretty good job at phosphate and heavy metals removal.

Sea-Chem Purigen is a macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes proteins, nitrite and nitrate, ammonia and a broad spectrum of organics at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. It significantly raises redox and polishes water clarity. About $6

Purigen can be regenerated by soaking in a bleach overnight.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Looking good. I just love little nano tanks. Keep us updated.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Looking Mighty fine Nathan! What sort of lighting is in that nano? Is it the stock lighting? 2x18, right?
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
tanker stanker
Amoeba

Post by tanker stanker »

You know, those small tanks are so convienent to keep and are cool too. I've been thinkin of gettin one of them after my big tank is up n runnin. But I was thinkin of makin a Gulf nano tank. Yep...I'm gonna do it as soon as these bills stop comin... :lol:
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Nanos are cool... only prob I have at work is the sheer volume of burnoff / water loss... I'm losing about a liter a day in a 10G aquarium.
-Josh Murrah