Sea Cuke (this one is safe)

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Aquariareview
Amoeba

Sea Cuke (this one is safe)

Post by Aquariareview »

Here is my a picture I have not been able to get before. this guy hides when the lights are on but was wandering this morn just after they came on.
Donkey Dung Sea Cuke (Holothuria mexicana) Range: Tropical West Atlantic. Size: To 20 inches. This guy is 3 years in my tank about 15 inch long. it was 6 inch when I got it.
He cost me $30. We have a dealer here in the DC area that gets a lot of weird critters. (big place with about 60,000 gallons of tanks in a green house). They try to get the odd stuff that is reef friendly.
3 years ago he was about 6 inchs
He cleans the sand of waste. They are one of the best sand janitors I have ever had. It stays in the top inch of sand and eats the sand. It passes the sand thru it's system and as it comes out it is very clean. It does not dig deep and it moves so slow that all of the sand critters (that you want to keep) get out of it's way.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Mine looks pretty much the same but the color is mottled and it is only 4 inches long. I wonder if it is the same species. I see mine only once a month.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I have one in my tank that looks simular but much smaller ...about 6in also...had over a yr....so far so good....think the only problem is if they die some are toxic.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Is that the correct color in the picture, looks like a greyish-blue.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Siganus8471
Amoeba

Sea Cuke

Post by Siganus8471 »

I have a Donkey Dung Sea Cucumber as well. Mine is about six inches and I have had him six to eight months. I see him maybe once a week on average. Mine is brownish in color. Yours does look greyish-blue in color......at least in the photo. He also hides among the rock and even behind the powerheads. I have seen him moving early in the morning right after the lights come on but he "quickly" goes into hiding.

James
Talk to ya soon,

James
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Its cool to watch a cuke split, mine have done it twice. You think you accidently cut him in half, but they are just reproducing. Its nice to get something for free, when does that ever happen.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate