I wonder how many people are still in the hobby from when this site was very popular(years ago)?

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

jt3069
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

I wonder how many people are still in the hobby from when this site was very popular(years ago)?

Post by jt3069 »

I was surprised when I seen that this cite is still up and running. It reminded me of the past when this was the place to come for swaps, trades, and discussions.

Since then there have been many new faces, but almost rarely the same ones from a decade + ago.

I suspect there won't be many people readings this, but I was interested to see if those who started or were in this hobby a long time ago still where?

I bet if they were, there is a wealth of knowledge out there.
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Re: I wonder how many people are still in the hobby from when this site was very popular(years ago)?

Post by snoopdog »

Well I did let it go down for a while, but it was senseless to not bringing it back up. It does not cost that much to keep it running.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
jt3069
Copepod

Re: I wonder how many people are still in the hobby from when this site was very popular(years ago)?

Post by jt3069 »

I'm glad it's still running.
Never been a fan of FB or other ways people try and bypass forums like these
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Well me either. I find it rather hard finding information, especially past information when using something like Facebook.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

That's very true.
I get reading thru forums can be taxing, but the information is the best and you can always refer back to it.

I think it'll come back around FB will probably sensor everything before long
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I agree!
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I’ve actually been out of the reef hobby since around 2016. Been doing planted freshwater only since. Probably only went for a year without a single system.

In any case, more folks than you think are still around—they just don’t stop by here as often, if at all. I wasn’t sure if snoop was going to bring the site back up or not, but I’d still check and stop by every 3-6 months.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Well you know me, I just cannot stay away long.

I have learned so much this year about reefing that I did not know before. There are so many tools in the arsenal now on keeping a tank, it is crazy how much better this tank is doing. My growth rate and stability is just incredible.

Here are my favorite dudes in their new home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0DcWyTUPo
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

So my Redsea tank did what Redsea tanks do, it split right down the middle seam. I am not getting out of the hobby though, I am doubling down. I upgraded to maybe 10-15 bigger to a 78 gallon Planet Aquarium. I did lose two fish in the transition, the shock was just too much. The new tank is doing good, I ordered more live rock this week and just letting the tank mature and being patient.

I really wish the Mobile reefers would get together. There is so much we could accomplish with our tanks if we collaborated and traded frags, added biodiversity by exchanging some rock rubble and such. While I am waiting on some reefer uprising that may never happen I have been spending my time reading my old books like "The Reef Aquarium" by spung, some books by Tullock and Fenner. In this commercial world, social media and things driven by large algorithms you will likely be led down a path of starting a tank with sterile rock and when you inevitably are stricken with dinos, ich and the plague you will get 20 different answers solving the problem, none will work and you will get 20% of your money back for all the gear you bought.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.