ZEOvit system - anyone ever read up on this?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

ZEOvit system - anyone ever read up on this?

Post by Fishfood »

I was bored today at work and just decided to look into this stuff. Does it have any merit or is it just another thing to spend $ on.
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

After reading up on it for awhile, I would say your best bet is to just try it. There have been TONS of people that say it is the best thing since sliced bread, others continually say it is just a fad. You can search RC and see what I am talking about. All it is intended to do is remove organics and improve water quality via bacterial process. I have seen several before and after oics that are hard to argue with, but who knows. Give Eric at Frag Farmers a call, he backs the stuff and has all the info posted on his site
Last edited by wtrhed on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I think Scott loves that stuff :D :D !

Joe
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

Scott, have you used this system before?
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

No, I find it very hard to use something that the ingredients are secret. The is a thread on the Zeo product that supposedly has bacteria to start the processes. Someone gram-stained it and found no bacteria so that would make me more skeptical I think I only read the first 50 pages or so though. There is another thread where they discuss the use of zeolite which many believe does not work in SW the way ir does in fresh and that the results are due to the compounds the zeolite is made of (Fe and aluminum silicate, which other well known PO4 reducers are made of).
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

There are plenty of Zeo threads on RC. There is a new thread, by the way that does have results of simple experiments that show there is bacteria in the Zeostart contradicting the first test.

I think like Scott. It is hard to use something that they keep a mystery. There is also a lot of continuing changes in the program as problems occur.

The marine industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. If there were any secret perfect methods you have to believ that one or maore of the more reputable companies would offer the product. In reality, Zeovit uses ideas that have been around for a very long time and repackages them. Given their secretiveness, it may be that some of the product does nothing.

I am pretty certain of two things. There is iron in one or more products that is dosed to improve color and perhaps bind phosporous. This causes the bleaching they sometimes see. I also believ that there is another ingrediant which is binding phosphorous in order to skim it out or make it fall out.

He is sometimes very frustrating to listen to, but Bomber, on RC probably has the best grasp on the system. He is just not being very specific.

All that being said, some of the guys get great results. Ijust don't think they are in great numbers yet. There are more people getting it right using other methods.

Phil
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I got a feeling down the road there will be one or two usefull measures in the zeo plan that will be helpfull and increase results.... the overall plan I am skeptical of and the non factual hooplah is anecdotal at best..... I got a feeling it makes more money selling a "system" that if it were just one product that worked.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Redfish wrote:He is sometimes very frustrating to listen to, but Bomber, on RC probably has the best grasp on the system. He is just not being very specific.
That guy bugs the crap out of me with his sometimes cryptic posts, but he definately knows his stuff when he comes right out and tells you (which isn't often).
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Yeah, he is annoying. I respect his intent, however. There really is nothing that difficult about the general processes and chemistry involved in marine aquariums. His real point is, stop, think about what you are doing. We sink all this money in these tanks and yet we do not take the time to really understand some simple concepts.

Phil
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I'm with Scott, though I haven't looked into this much I think if you can't back it up with "why" or "how" I will pass.

Somethings appear beneficial at first, steroids, but can have negative effects if you don't know what you are dealing with.

Joe
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I have a loose grasp on the basic concepts but when he starts with the riddles that would require a chemist or molecular biologist to solve them it really offends. I make no claim to be one of the smart guys I just like the purty colored sticks.
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

I knew it was only a matter of time before this "debate" found it's way here, it's like the black death. You must admit, it's DAMN good advertising. :lol I have recently been using the all new AMAZOVIT system, totally TOP SECRET sytem from deep within the anals of the world renowned german mad reefer Aquanoggin. For only $19.95 I will send the top secret diagrams of how this process works
and a full schematic of how to build your own defozzmolation reactor. Checks and money orders only please, no C.O.D.'s Payable to Waterhead Enterprises, LLC :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by wtrhed on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

Hurry act now and I'll even through in two FREE wobble shaft tension couplers!!! A must for the serious AMAZOVIT fans. Okay, I'll stop now, I'm getting WAY too in to this pitch :?
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I don't want anything from the "anals" of anything :P .
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

I thought that was pretty good, huh?