Ice probe

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

99lsfm2
Amoeba

Ice probe

Post by 99lsfm2 »

Anyone used one? The new tank is running a bit hot 83 to 84 deg F or will that be OK?

Oh ya, I have been keeping the house at 76 F.

Mark
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

It would be better if you could get those temps down a little, at least to 79 or 80 if possible. That way you would have a little more room to play with. Are you running powerheads that could be causing your heat issues? I don't know much about the ice probe, but doesn't the tank have to be drilled for one?

You may just try pointing a fan over the water for evaporative cooling, but you will have to add more top off water. Also check your heater, and make sure it's accurate. Sometimes they run a bit high.

You have a nano? Maybe some of the people with nano's can give you some better suggestions.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Natural reef temperatures (for healthy ones, that is) average out at about 82 degrees. I consider that THE standard. If it is kept at this temp relatively consistently, then even swings up to 84 will hardly be a problem. In fact, corals kept in higher temps are less likely to bleach given a temp spike. There are some caveats at these temps, though, including increased photosynthesis (corals and algae), calcification (can you keep up with the demands?), less dissolved oxygen (do you have enough water circulation, surface disturbance?). Despite this, I think the best idea is to keep it at these temps, as it is more natural for these organisms.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Well, my smaller tank stayed at 82 degrees, which was fine in the cooler months. But as it got hotter, the temps would climb to 85 or so. I would usually have to turn off all but one of the powerheads in the summer. I did notice a difference in my corals, they were fine with the occasional spike into the upper 80's, but not a constant temperature that high.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

odd. I maintain mine at these temps nearly year round. I don't think it ever drops below 81, but gets up to 84-85 in the summer. Never had a problem with the same corals in 10 years.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

May just be me. :lol: The 75 with Montis and Acros can run at those temps with no problem. The little two day 90 temp last year after Katrina was a little rough on them though.

Now I never lost any of the corals in the 20 because of the heat...but they did stress when the temps got high for long periods. Could very well have been an oxygen issue as well, because I couldn't keep up the water flow.
99lsfm2
Amoeba

Post by 99lsfm2 »

The tank is running two power powerheads that came with it. One for the skimmer and one to return the water from the sump. I also added two to increase flow, a Maxi-jet 400 & 1200. I was thinking I could put the Ice Probe in the skimmer compartment without drilling the tank. I guess I will let it ride for a bit and see. My fish seem happy.

Mark
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I recently doubled the lighting on my 12 gallon from 18watts to 36 watts. Stupid me did this on a Friday, when I came back to work Monday I had lost my button coral and the Devil's hand is a quarter of it's normal size. I think the Devil's Hand will recover, hard to kill those. I think I saw the temp around 85 degrees.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yes, but what was the temp prior to changing the lighting. As I said, corals consistently maintained near 82 have no problems with higher temps as compared to those maintained in lower temps.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

99lsfm2, for what it's worth, the maxi-jets will raise the temps slightly. I noticed a good drop when I replaced mine with the Seios. That's an option if you decide to try and lower your temperature a bit. It won't be much, maybe a degree or two, but will give you a little more room to play with as it gets hotter.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
99lsfm2
Amoeba

Post by 99lsfm2 »

I have considered doing one Seios 620 and turing the flow down. A 620 would put all my sand on one spot in one of the corner or on top of the rock. How do they respond to being turned down to 300 or so GPH. The tank ran cooler today with the house temp down to 74 right now I am at 80.2. Another question are the Coralife digital therometers any good?

Mark

Snoop Dog, how much do you want for the beer drinking cat.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I have a couple of the coralife thermometers, they seem as good as any.

The wide flow area of the seios is alot different that you would think, when you think of the gph flow rates it seems pretty massive. But it's a gentle flow, it doesn't blast like the maxi-jet types. I never tried the 620 in the small tank, but thought about trying the 820 in the 40 gal. I've just been to lazy to get off my a** and do it. :lol: