Are these club tipped anemones bad?

What is that and where did it come from?

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

Are these club tipped anemones bad?

Post by Crustman »

These are with the star coral, zooanthids. Are they bad for a reef tank?
Attachments
club anenome.jpg
club anenome.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 6257 times
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

close up. Thanks Tom
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

One more try
Attachments
club closeup.jpg
club closeup.jpg (62.85 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
reefman8471
Amoeba

Aiptasia

Post by reefman8471 »

Yes they are bad for reef tanks. They are caused Aiptasia. They are anemones that can reproduce asexually and often do in aquariums. They do not require high light output to do well. One or two can quickly turn into many anemones. They are capable of stinging your corals. There are many ways to fight Aiptasia. I use kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide) mixed with water. The pH is 12 and all you have to do is turn off your water pumps and apply it to the oral disc of the anemone. You can use a syringe or an eye dropper. You have to be careful not to put too much kalkwasser into the tank at one time as it can raise your tank's pH drastically. It can also burn your corals if you get it on them. There are other safer alternatives on the market that you can apply just like kalkwasser. The other option is to get something that will eat the anemones. Many people like Peppermint shrimp. They do work but also may eat some of your polyps. A greater risk are any of several species of butterfly fish. Many like to use Copperband butterfly fish in their reef tanks. They are not without risk as they usually do not accept prepared food, are very shy at first, and could also eat corals. I have found that some Bicolor Angelfish will eat Aiptasia. They are also a moderate risk with corals as well. If they bother corals it is usually LPS and clam mantles. Whatever you decide to use get to the Aiptasia quickly.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Maybe Anemonia cf. "majano"

Post by Amphiprion »

Those look to be more like the loose conglomerate of anemones collectively known as Anemonia cf. "majano". As the name suggests, the classification is in question. In any case, I would treat them like Aiptasia like James mentioned. They can spread just as quickly, if not potentially worse. There are also proprietary fixes, like "Joe's Juice" and Aiptasia control that seem to be fairly effective if you pay careful attention and make sure you cover the entire animal.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Thanks, I see them in other places now. They don't seem to be bothering the star polyps but I will take your advice. They don't look like Aiptasia because the tentacles are short and clubbed at the tips.
kristo
Copepod

Post by kristo »

Andrew,
Could they possibly be curly cues (Bartholomea annulata)??? Havent seen those in a while, but they remind me of them.
Attachments
bartholomea_annulata_asr.jpg
bartholomea_annulata_asr.jpg (33.87 KiB) Viewed 6222 times
~Kris~

"You can not start a revolution with a silk glove."~Joseph Stalin
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Nope. Curlicues are actually another Aiptasiid anemone, so they are going to be more similar to Aiptasia. "Majano" anemones are a bunch of anemones sort of grouped together, since nobody really knows what they are called.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium