What do you think of this list?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

opiy
Amoeba

What do you think of this list?

Post by opiy »

I have been putting together a list of items I am thinking of getting to start up the tank. None of it is definite yet. Do you see anything wrong with what is listed so far? Right now the skimmer is still the biggest uncertainty at the moment. The 3 year warranty on the pump sounds nice.

AGA 120G Overflow Tank Aprx $410.00 Water World Tropical Fish & Supplies

ReefKeeper Elite NET System V2 $500.00 Premium Aquatics

Lumen Bright Pendent 250W DE x2 $145.99ea Premium Aquatics

Vortech MP40w $420.99 Premium Aquatics

Super Reef Octopus XP-2000 $400.00 Premium Aquatics Cone Skimmer

IceCap 250 watt Electronic $140.00 Premium Aquatics Halide Ballast

EXTREME TYPHOON III 150 $269.95 Airwaterice.com GPD RODI

XM Metal Halide DE 250W x2 $64.50ea Aquariumspecialty.com

Instant Ocean 160g Bucket $47.98 Shipped Dr Foster and Smith

Thanks
Larry
Larry
My build thread http://tiny.cc/JYzXJ
Slowly building up my equpiment.
Rule of Coral Shopping: If you don't buy it when your see it, it will not be there when you come back.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: What do you think of this list?

Post by Amphiprion »

Sounds like a solid setup to me. I guess the only variable in there besides the skimmer would be the amount of water circulation. Depending upon what you are doing, you may or may not want more. Other than that, it is a nice, high-end setup for certain.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
opiy
Amoeba

Post by opiy »

I circulation was something I was not sure of with the Vortech powerhead. It seems to be strong so I wasn't sure if I would need two or not.

I am considering sps but I am not positive yet. I know I will get some zoas and mushrooms and likely some LPS. Its all still pending.

Do you know of any significant difference between the Lumenarc reflector and the Lumenbright?
Larry
Rule of Coral Shopping: If you don't buy it when your see it, it will not be there when you come back.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

There is a noticeable difference, as well as a significant and measurable one. I don't recall the exact numbers and I measured in lux, not PAR, but I measured probably a 30% difference in overall light, including maximal intensity. I don't know if that sounds like a big difference, but it really is. I would take the LumenBrights over the Lumenarcs in pretty much any situation.

The Vortechs provide a lot of flow, but you'll likely need more, especially with more demanding corals. The flow, however, is very different from traditional flow--it is very broad and diffused, but very high volume, all at the same time. You'll find that you'll probably need more than what you think. I have LOTS of flow in my 40g, and strictly going on the volume they push, it would sound like much too much. However, if you see it in person and see how even "lower flow" corals react, you'd find that it isn't too much at all.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Sounds like a good list so far, but a couple of the items I would reconsider the places you get them. The vortech MP40w are great and I think you would do fine with 2 of them on that size tank. I have seen 2 of them put on a 65 gallon and they worked great. I would get them from saltycritters.com. I got mine a few months ago for 375 each. If you tell them you are a member of reef central they will lower the price. I think the going price of them now is even cheaper then I got them.

The instant ocean 200 gallon mix (bags) are on sale for $42.99 right now. I am about to order 3-4 boxes in a week or two. Maybe we can make an order together and split the shipping.

I have not seen to much on that skimmer, but it looks like it would work very well.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
opiy
Amoeba

Post by opiy »

Amphiprion wrote:There is a noticeable difference, as well as a significant and measurable one. I don't recall the exact numbers and I measured in lux, not PAR, but I measured probably a 30% difference in overall light, including maximal intensity. I don't know if that sounds like a big difference, but it really is. I would take the LumenBrights over the Lumenarcs in pretty much any situation.

The Vortechs provide a lot of flow, but you'll likely need more, especially with more demanding corals. The flow, however, is very different from traditional flow--it is very broad and diffused, but very high volume, all at the same time. You'll find that you'll probably need more than what you think. I have LOTS of flow in my 40g, and strictly going on the volume they push, it would sound like much too much. However, if you see it in person and see how even "lower flow" corals react, you'd find that it isn't too much at all.
This is good to know about the reflectors because I was reading and trying to find out what the difference was between the two. I will take your word on your findings and leave my choice as Lumenbrights. As far as the Vortechs go I did expect to have to get two, one on each side but now with two posts suggesting it I will stick with two.

andy4499 wrote:Sounds like a good list so far, but a couple of the items I would reconsider the places you get them. The vortech MP40w are great and I think you would do fine with 2 of them on that size tank. I have seen 2 of them put on a 65 gallon and they worked great. I would get them from saltycritters.com. I got mine a few months ago for 375 each. If you tell them you are a member of reef central they will lower the price. I think the going price of them now is even cheaper then I got them.

The instant ocean 200 gallon mix (bags) are on sale for $42.99 right now. I am about to order 3-4 boxes in a week or two. Maybe we can make an order together and split the shipping.

I have not seen to much on that skimmer, but it looks like it would work very well.
I just looked on Dr Foster site on the 200g box and its $48.98 shipped. If we can get a discount on the salty site then I am interested. I may likely only get 1 box maybe 2 at the time. If it would be cheaper to have it shipped all to your place I am could pick it up or maybe meet. Whatever is cleaver.

It seems you got the mp40w at a good price because they are at $420.00

I don't know much of the skimmer either but I was seeing good things and the 3 year pump warranty was nice. It could change later though.
Larry
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I don't see any Live Rock on your list, its not equipment, but still a big expense when starting a tank. Premium Aquatics sells LR also, thats where I got my LR from and haven't any complaints with what they sent me. You can buy an AGA 120g tank for $400, that seems like a really good deal. Everything that I have read says that AGA is about as good as it gets.
opiy
Amoeba

Post by opiy »

LR is something I would rather pick out local if I can. I am not against ordering online but I really like to see it so I can try to figure out a rock structure. I think I am going to try a more minimalist LR display in the tank or open this time to see how it works out. B&B has LR at 6.99lb but I know maybe in a week or two I will head to pensecola to see what those guys have.

Yea if I can get that tank for that price or even close then it is for sure I will getting it. I had the 120g AGA some years ago but sold it before I could even put water in it. I decided I wanted to join the Navy so I had to get rid of everything. I liked that tank. The size and shape of it.
Larry