Hello

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

neil_franklin
Amoeba

Hello

Post by neil_franklin »

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone on here (I've been over at reefcentral). John (Xster), recommended this site to me a couple of days ago. I'm in the Navy and stationed in Pascagoula, I live in Ocean Springs. I've had a tank for about a year and some change but just started a reef tank in October of last year (03). I currently have a mixed tank but am slowly converting over to SPS only...I think. I have a 55g w/ 2 175w MH and 2 110w VHO's. I have a few SPS now along with some LPS and some softies. I also have a maxima clam, three Ocelleris clowns, a purple queen anthia, a yellow watchman goby, and a BTA. Anyway, I just wanted to say hey to everyone and let you know a little about me and my tank. Glad to meet you all.
Neil
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Welcome! How long have you had your Anthia? I want one but I heard that they were delicate.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Welcome aboard Neil. Looking forward to talking to you more at the next meeting.

John
neil_franklin
Amoeba

Anthia

Post by neil_franklin »

Scott- I've had my anthia since November. He started out eating nothing but brine but has since learned to eat everything...formula 1 and 2, prime reef, cyclop-eeze, mysis( if I cut it up), and all sorts of fresh uncooked seafood. He was real timid at first too, would hide when I came up to the tank. Now if I'm in the room he comes up to the glass every time I'm in the room begging for me to feed him like a dog. I've read in numerous places that they are plankton feeders in nature and eat throughout the day almost constantly. To help simulate this I feed 4-5 times a day(afraid to go to much more) in smaller doses and it really seems to help keep the weight on him, though it also seems to have made everyone else rather fat!!! I love him to death and would love to get him a harem of females but because of their reputation for not eating in captivity I'm kind of hesitant to press my luck. Maybe when I get a larger tank I'll give it a try. I had the chance to see John's (Xster's) tank yesterday and really liked the anthias he has as well. Sunburst Anthias? Forgot to ask. Maybe when I get a bigger tank I'll keep nothing but anthias. Anyway, I think it all depends on the fish.

Xster- Hey, how you doing. That coral I got from you last night loks great! I've never brought one home and had the polyps open up as fast as they did. Just under an hour. I can't thank you enough and will DEFINITLY be calling you again to get some more frags! Thanks again.

Neil
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Thanks for the info. I would like a couple but not yet.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

WELCOME TO THE MBRK FORUM!

Hope you can make it to some of the meetings. Do you have pics of your tank. Feel free to start a gallery.!
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Welcome Neil. I'm Joe from Gulfport. I too was lurred into sps by John. I hope you will be able to attend the next meeting, I don't meet to many reefers in Mississippi-imagine that!

Joe
neil_franklin
Amoeba

meetings?

Post by neil_franklin »

salt-n-lime: I would love to come to a meeting! Where? I saw a thread that said there was one on the 28th. Is this still true?
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I'll update the thread with the specifics when it gets a little closer.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Re: meetings?

Post by SaltnLime »

neil_franklin wrote:salt-n-lime: I would love to come to a meeting! Where? I saw a thread that said there was one on the 28th. Is this still true?

It's at Scotts house. We usually try to have one a month at a members home . Worked out real well so far. You might wanna check out a feww old meeting threads for better info.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Neil, John and I usually carpool. Hit us up if you are interested.

Joe
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Drug up a couple of highlight files I did for june and july's meetings. I have been kinda bad lately about getting the other meetings, but will do better.

http://www.mbrk.com/viewtopic.php?t=294

http://saltnlime.reefcrazed.com/images/ ... evised.pdf
neil_franklin
Amoeba

meeting

Post by neil_franklin »

Joe: Nice to see another reefer close to home. I would love to to come to the meeting. Where is it?
neil_franklin
Amoeba

this sucks!!

Post by neil_franklin »

Sorry everyone. I'm on the computer onboard the ship and the connection is worse than slow!!! It seems that I'm about 2-3 posts behind everybody else.

Joe: Yeah, I would like to car pool or at least follow you guys since I have no idea where to go! I'll keep an eye on this thread for more info also.

BTW... thanks to all for the hospitality. It's pretty cool that you guys are so open to accepting the FNG (F&*^ing new guy).
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Neil it will be in or around Mobile, I dont know where exactly. John is the navigator. We will prob try and leave around 4ish. Let me check with John and I'll get back to you.

Joe