Frankenstien pump thoughts from you smart people?

Break out the ducktape !

Moderator: snoopdog

Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Frankenstien pump thoughts from you smart people?

Post by Scott »

I got my hands on a couple of pumps that were all siezed up. There was only one Dolphin pump which ended up being a 4700 high head pump with a 1/3 hp motor, 1725 rpm. The pump uses 2" in and out. I also got several Hayward pool pumps but only one had a wet end. The wet end was off a Power Flow II that was a 1 hp 3000 rpm that puts out 55 gpm at 10 foot head. I actually got the Dolphin and one of the Haywards that didn't have a wet end running but I don't have any seals or gaskets for the Dolphin. So I used the wet end off the Power Flow on the Dolphin motor. I haven't tried it yet but I plan on it tomorrow. The strange thing what that it all fit perfectly together and the parts for the Hayward are much cheaper.

What kind of output do you think I will get out of this pieced together pump? I will probably have to buy a wet end for the Dolphin if this doesn't work but I figured I would give it a shot.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Seems like it would work to me, at least until you got new seals for the Dolphin. I personally wouldn't use the Haywards because of how much power they draw, but really want a dolphin pump.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

The smaller Haywards are not that bad. The Dolphin that I have uses 4.3 amps and is a 1/3 hp. I have one Hayward that I think I can get running even though I won't use it. It is a 1 hp and uses 15 amps. That is a lot of money if used all the time. I am really just trying to take up some time at work because we have been so slow. I doubt I will ever use any of them as a full time pumps. Maybe a water change pump, yeah that's it, a water change pump, I could change my water in 5 minutes.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

1 hp? That's a very high output pump man!
Wind me up!
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

The 1 hp pump motors are a complete loss (I think, I haven't checked the one that draws 15 amps). I did salvage the Dolphin and a 1/2 hp Hayward. The pump I put on the Dolphin motor was on a 3000 rpm motor so I don't know what I will get. The pump shaft is different on the other Hayward so basically I don't have a wet end for that one but I'm looking.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

It pumps. I have no idea how much but I filled up one of those 16 gallon Rubbermaid containers in about 20 seconds. Not exactly a huge amount of water but I might plumb it into my next system as a water change pump or to add more flow occasionally to keep detritus from settling on the bottom. Right now I am going to run my big skimmer on a vat to cure some live rock.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Scott wrote:It pumps. I have no idea how much but I filled up one of those 16 gallon Rubbermaid containers in about 20 seconds. Not exactly a huge amount of water...
That's 48 gpm or 2880 gph... that's not a slow flow rate!
Wind me up!
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

KrazyPlace wrote: That's 48 gpm or 2880 gph... that's not a slow flow rate!
No but there is no reason to run a 1/3 hp pump at 4.3 amps to make less than 4000 gph. I think I will try the Dophin wet end and see if it leaks. It was rated at 4700 gph at high head but the seals are expensive.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Scott wrote:Not exactly a huge amount of water
Right.......(in his best Doctor Evil impersination.)
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate